Albert Mitchell, Royal Navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Mitchell, Royal Navy

I'm looking for more information about Albert Mitchell (s/o Albert Mitchell in my previous postings).

He's born ~1879 in Jersey, CI.

In the 1901 census, he was a crew member on board the Hood.

In the 1911 census, he was a petty officer on board the Vanguard.

Hopefully, he was off the Vanguard before it exploded in 1917 - does anyone know where to find a casualty list so I can check?

Also, I've been unable to find any Navy record for him in FMP. Any suggestions to find it?

Last - he was married in both censuses; I will try another search to find his wife/family, but would appreciate assistance.

Thanks!
    Sarah

What about this record from the National Archives

Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services - Albert Mitchell
    Elaine

Comment

I like it. Thanks, I've not had much need or luck using TNA, so I forget about it.

No personal/family information in it, tho. Any suggestions? Would attestation papers have survived? He pensioned 8 Nov 1918 "No 19030", Can't determine his DOD (if it's there, I can't read it).
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-06-11, 06:53. Reason: added info

Comment

I am not sure if the naval records give next of kin in a similar way to the British Army records. Do you know if he married in England or the Channel Islands? Do you know the names of any children?
        Elaine

Comment

I know nothing except his locations in census from 1881-1911, and the TNA info. He was too young to be married in 1881 and 1891, married but at sea in 1901 and 1911. Name is too common to search freeBMD and get anything useful. CI BMD is not online. Nothing in FamilySearch.

Comment

Sarah,
            It would appear that Albert and some his siblings were born in St. Helier. I had a look at the St Helier births (from approx 1840 to 1909, unfortunately
            not yet complete) and found the birth of twin sisters to Albert and Elizabeth Jones (Alberts father and mother) Father is listed in 1880 as a Corporal R.A. 6th Btln 10 Brig.
            The sisters were Rose and Lily (twins) born on 11/1/1880 and baptised same day.
            The details can be accessed by logging on to the website (HTTP://tinyurl.com/hhk34).
            A page will come up saying Archives collection contents, you then click on home, archives, reference and under item reference enter G/C/03/A2/15.
            This will bring you to the series of birth files and the active ones are (from memory) 15 thru to 24.

Hope this helps.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
            X