Duplicate ancestor lines on large trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate ancestor lines on large trees

Can anyone recommend a suitable software programme to create and print a chart of around 5000 ancestors over 60+ generations which would eradicate the many duplicate ancestor lines (resulting from dynastic cousin marriages in the 9th - 14th centuries) please? FTM 2006 has this facility but no suitable charts - FTM 2009 and 2011 have suitable charts but no 'cousin smart' option.

I don't have that many people or generations (only 11 generations) in my tree, but the software allows 99 generations. I don't know the upper limit of the people count.

Yes, I'm still using PAF and PAF Companion. The first is free, the second is quite inexpensive.

It has a "cousin smart" feature. When an ancestor overlapped, the chart printed "Same as no. 2 on chart 12." You can turn off the cousin smart feature if you'd like.

They both offer many types of charts. PAF Companion offers fancier charts, some in color.

PAF can read your GEDCOM, PAF companion can read the datafile that PAF made from your GEDCOM.

Comment

I would recommend trying Family Historian, although personally I think 5000 on one chart is going to be a bit large to handle when printed. It will detect and remove duplicate lines. You can download a free trial from

and it is fully functional so you can work on your chart exactly as you would if you bought a copy.
      Jane
      Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
      "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Many thanks for both these replies. I have downloaded Family Historian as suggested on the free trial and am trying that one first. Yes the chart will be huge(!) so I am planning on getting a quotation for printing from a commercial site and hiring the church hall...

Comment

Working...
        X