Buying a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new PC

We are thinking seriously now about replacing our ancient PC and would appreciate any advice on what features we should have. The size of hard disks has increased greatly since we last bought a PC so what would be the minimum to go for? We don't play computer games or download films, music etc. The computer is used mainly for browsing the internet, storing photos and family history files. How much RAM should we have?

All contributions gratefully received!
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

My son says that most Operating Systems these days need a minimum of 1GB Ram, so he would advise a minimum of 2GB Ram.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I always advise people to decide how much they can afford to pay and then look around for the best one you can get. I think that 4GB of Ram and as big a hard disk as you can get would be ok for doing photos.
      FRANK

Comment

Computers these days seem to come with RAM of at least 4 GB and upwards. There is not much difference in price and I would
        go for one with at least 4GB. Hard disks are much the same, some computers are now up to 1TB, but 500MB will last a long time.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks everyone. We will bear your advice in mind when we are looking around.

"Hard disks are much the same, some computers are now up to 1TB, but 500MB will last a long time."

David, did you mean 500GB?
          ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
          X