Missing Jupp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Jupp

In Sep quarter 1889 Leao Sir Jupp (odd name, but that is what is in the register) is born in Ticehurst, Sussex. In 1891 he is with his family (transcribed as Leaosis) and also in 1901 (transcribed as Leaner). I cannot find any trace of him after this. Any suggestions anyone?

(There is a Leonard Jupp born 1887 in Reading on the 1911, but this one was born in London, so i don't think it's him. The Leonard Jupp in Chichester is only 8. I can't think of what else his named might be transcribed as)

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Off the top of my head, don't forget that a capital J could have been transcribed as an S.

Just to clarify, are you trying to find him in 1911?
    Barbara

Comment

A Leo O Jupp dies in Ticehurst 1934 age 44
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Ooh Mike, that looks really good - I thought I looked through all the deaths! Any sightings at all Barbara, it would be nice to track him down in the 1911, (but not asking for any look ups of that). I hadn't tried Supp - will give that a whirl now.

Thanks to you both

Linda
        Linda

Comment

Tupp is another possible mistranscription, depending on how the J is written.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ - I've tried Tupp, Supp, Fupp and Lupp and also Ju** with no luck. Also trawled through the census summary books for Ticehurst, as he seemed to have stayed close to home, but not seen anything there. He must have been hiding that night!

Linda
            Linda

Comment

FMP transcribes what's in the image in 1891 for the first name: Leaosir. That looks more like a Gaelic/Celtic name. (Nothing comes up on Google for that as a name, apart from this thread.)
              It's the same name in 1901.

For clarity: it shows as a single name, not a two-part one.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-06-11, 23:45.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Can't find him in 1911, but there is a Leigh JUPP, aged 22, b Robertsbridge. I haven't looked back to see whether he has a separate birth reg (Have now - and I can't find one on FreeBMD). He is married with first name Leigh in 1909q1.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-06-11, 23:38.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, that looks really good, as they seemed to use Robertsbridge as well as Ticehurst as their birthplace. It seems he moved to Kent then. Will check out the marriage as well, but I think you cracked it.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X