Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advising friend starting out on family research - which software will she need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advising friend starting out on family research - which software will she need?

It is so long since I set up my computer for family tree research, would welcome your reminders on this.

Java Script - I think is needed to read the original census records?

Ancestry.co.uk - I think they give a link to download software too?

I can tell her about FTM.

Have I missed anything? I have of course given her FTF link. We will get really started in the winter but she can be doing small bits now.

I have typed up a word doc with all the basic websites etc for research.

I'd love to take it all over but she wants to be taught how to do it herself. She will have that excitement when you discover ancestors etc yourself. If I present it all done, it won't mean the same...
    Liz

Point her in the direction of FTF first .. and save yourself time in typing it up for her!

I could go on .....!
    Elaine

Comment

Just to say - I totally agree - it is the joy of doing a search and finding your own ancestors that is so exciting and rewarding.
      ..............and then comes the addiction..............:o
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

And don't forget the magazine either, it's nice to show that there is more than trawling through census images and that the "meat on the bones" really adds to the fun of sharing a tree with family.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks everyone...yes, I have emphasized FTF first...

I'd better warn her about the addiction too .
          Liz

Comment

I would dole out the information about software and so on as and when she needs it, otherwise it will all be utterly overwhelming. Most sites prompt you to download the necessary software anyway.

OC

Comment

OC - that is good advice! I am starting simply at this stage and told her to consult only living relative first about info on the branch she wishes to research.
              Liz

Comment

If she has web access then Tribal Pages is a great free hosting site - doesn't have records but is great for documenting your tree and you can share it with others on an invitation basis. Doesn't need software attached either.

Comment

Thanks Kate.
                  Liz

Comment

Working...
                  X