Looking for my g. g. grandmother, Elizabeth Nickless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my g. g. grandmother, Elizabeth Nickless

My great, great grandmother Elizabeth Nickless was born q2 1840 in Hinwood, Pontesbury, Shropshire (Atcham district) to John & Ann (nee Pritchard.) I have her on the 1851 census, but then she seems to disappear. I found a possible entry on the 1861 census as a servant to a family called Williams, but it states her age as 25, which is at least 3 years too old for my Elizabeth. On 2 Nov 1866 she gave birth to William in Hinwood and, as there is no father shown on the cert, my belief is that William was illegitimate. I can find no trace of Elizabeth after this, despite searching on variations of her surname, which was frequently misspelt.

As you've all been so helpful in the past, I thought see if you could oblige again!
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

What about

Marriages Jun 1870
    Nickless Elizabeth
    Parry James
    PRICE Jonathan
    WOODING Esther
    Atcham 6a 1267

1871 census
    RG10; Piece: 2763; Folio: 94; Page: 12
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
    Elaine

Comment

? death for Jonathan

Jonathan Price - age at death 41
      Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1883
      Atcham Volume 6a, page ?
      Elaine

Comment

Jonathan Price 28
        Elizabeth Price 31
        William Price 4
        Margaret Price 7 Months
        1871 RG10; Piece: 2763; Folio: 94; Page: 12
        Hinwood

1901 Worthen, Shropshire
        William Nickless 34
        Clara E Nickless 34
        James Nickless 11
        Martha E Nickless 8
        Clara Nickless 6 Months

RG13; Piece: 5200; Folio: 51; Page: 22.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-06-11, 12:36.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

1881 RG11; Piece: 2643; Folio: 92; Page: 5;
          Hinwood
          Jonathon Pryce 39 <<<<Widower
          Elizabeth Pryce 73 <<<<mother
          Margaret Pryce 10
          Alice Pryce 8
          Kat

Comment

Possible death for Elizabeth Price age 34
            Atcham
            Oct-Nov-Dec 1873
            6a 437
            Kat

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
              My great, great grandmother Elizabeth Nickless was born q2 1840 in Hinwood, Pontesbury, Shropshire (Atcham district) to John & Ann (nee Pritchard.) I have her on the 1851 census, but then she seems to disappear. I found a possible entry on the 1861 census as a servant to a family called Williams, but it states her age as 25, which is at least 3 years too old for my Elizabeth. On 2 Nov 1866 she gave birth to William in Hinwood and, as there is no father shown on the cert, my belief is that William was illegitimate. I can find no trace of Elizabeth after this, despite searching on variations of her surname, which was frequently misspelt.

As you've all been so helpful in the past, I thought see if you could oblige again!
              If no father shown on a birth cert it is for sure that the woman wasn't married and the child illegitimate.
              Margaret

Comment

Elaine, you're a genius! That also explains why William's marriage certificate shows his father as Jonathan when there was no father's name on his birth certificate. You've made my day. :D

Katarzyna, thank you for the additional info. Interesting that it shows William's surname as Price, but on his marriage in 1889 it was Nickless. Could be that if Jonathan died in 1883 he reverted to his mother's name.
                Last edited by lorry53; 18-06-11, 15:14.
                Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Working...
                X