Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you leave this now ?

OK.....a summary of the position re my Hudsons

1800 baptism of William Hudson (my direct ancestor) in Shepshed, Leics. Parents listed as John & Ann Hudson. No John & Ann Hudson in the vicinity. There's a James & Ann (another child named William who survives them) & a John & Mary (only possible if a mistake was made in listing Mary's name....all their other children credited to John & Mary) No siblings found for William.

1801 John Hudson marries Ann Jakes & (Sutton Bonnington nr Shepshed) & they live in Kingston on Soar (again just up the road from Shepshed) Is it possible that William was their illegitimate child ? No obvious reason to name a first child William...John's father is George & Ann's father is John. Maybe they were waiting for a legitimate child before naming one after its father/their fathers. All other children baptised in Kingston. Possible reason William was baptised elsewhere could be illegitimacy or the fact that Kingston's church was in a state of great disrepair & was periodically closed...but this state of affairs lasted until 1832 & it didn't affect baptisms of their other children.

1813....a William Hudson baptised in Kegworth (another neighbouring village)...parents given as John & Ann. I've spoken to a descendant who has been researching for years & she's in a similar position to me....the only possibility she's found is that he was the son of John & Ann in Kingston & was baptised in Kegworth for some reason.

You've all helped me tremendously (thank you) & I've traced John Hudson's family (Kingston) back to 1640 (allowing for mistakes....as if !!), so I don't think there's anything else to look at at this stage.

So what do I do ? Keep my notes about John Hudson's family & check periodically if anything new has come to light....is it worth looking into John Hudson's family (Shepshed) in case Mary's name was wrongly transcribed as Ann on the baptism ?

Thank you for all your help with this

Just to add.....someone has looked at the registers for me & William's mother is definitely listed as Ann

Comment

I suppose it's possible that it was Mary Ann not simply one or the other. I have seen it where a Mary Ann has been listed as either and both at different times.
      Margaret

Comment

I don't know - of course, I don't, but from a pure geographical point of view .... [I used to live in Kegworth and work in Sutton Bonington, so know the area well]

Sutton Bonington is a long thin village now, but the old part of SB is nearer to Kegworth and Kingston, each being only a mile or so away. Therefore, it's quite possible that if Kingston church wasn't being used for some reason, people in Kingston could/would walk to Kegworth or SB for either regular church services or family ceremonies like baptisms and marriages.

Shepshed is a full five miles [now] by road to SB and another mile to Kingston.

I'm assuming that because it's a rural area that William worked on the land in some capacity. There is a small museum in Kegworth so it's possible that it might have some info that may be of interest regarding local landowners and their employees. They might also know who the landowners were in Shepshed at the time and where you might lay hands on any of that info, perhaps?

Does this help at all?

Edited [again!] to add link giving contact details of Kegworth Museum

Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 17-06-11, 13:56. Reason: additional info
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thank you both very much. The Mary Ann is intriguing & still a possibility, but I can't get to the bottom of it. The Mary in the John & Mary of Shepshed was a Mary Alt & she was baptised together with her sister, Ann....so I've been wondering is she was really a Mary Ann or an Ann Mary & the Ann was used only once or if somehow the sisters' names got mixed up at the baptism. Two people have looked at the entry of the baptism for me....& they both say it definitely says 2 girls were baptised. I (& people who have helped me here) haven't been able, though, to find out what happened to Ann Alt...neither a death nor a marriage....though we have come across one or two Ann Alts in Derbys/Leics/Notts, they've either been too old or too young or their fathers' names/places of birth were incorrect.

Thanks, Small Town girl....that may help a lot. William (my William) was indeed an agricultural worker....after his baptism in Shepshed, he married someone from Ruddington, Notts, & they continued to live there. The Kegworth Museum will be very interesting & may help.

I guess all kinds of possibilities spring to mind....eg, if William was illegitimate, relatives in Shepshed may have taken him in (even if his parents married a year later), but that's purely speculative....& the John Hudson in Shepshed almost certainly wasn't the brother of the John Hudson in Kingston on Soar

Comment

Or maybe William was the product of a liason between one of the John Hudsons & someone named Ann.....but I doubt they'd have got away with calling themselves John & Ann Hudson......far too speculative

Comment

I have to say, on my tree this sort of problem is all too common - not so much a brick wall as just petering out. In the end there are so many question marks you really can't go back any further unless something new turns up.

On a brighter note, sometimes something does :D I got a couple of good leads when the LMA records were put on Ancestry.

Hope you do find an answer, as I know it's sooo frustrating!
              Last edited by Lindsay; 17-06-11, 18:58.

Comment

Thanks, Lindsay. Think I'll have a go at John Hudson of Shepshed's family...then at least I've got the notes....or, perhaps, I can find something in the Alt family

Comment

hmmm im worried because your name is so common and they dont stay in the same parish for long, that the entire line from 1800 backwards could be wrong. i would start by looking for burials in all the parishes. and checking marriage records, they usually say where someone is from, especially if they arnt local. i have a rector marrying in the 1750's in york, the register stated he was from anderby in lincoln. now i knew he had a second wife, she is buried at anderton, but i would never have looked in yorkshire for the marriage!
                  so i would have someone check the registers for shep shed and all neighbouring villages for the family, and carefully work back the way you have, but it doesnt look like you have burials? you will be crushed if you find out the line you have is wrong because of a child death......

Comment

I'm confident that William (b 1800 Shepshed) is my ancestor.....luckily, his son was canny enough to name the son I'm descended from (my g grandfather) Herbert Hart Hudson after Herbert's mother, Jane Hart, so that helped prevent a lot of possible mix ups. My problem is, really, that I don't have anyone to check the registers....I was lucky enough to have people check a couple of things for me, & I'm looking at 3 counties with the Hudsons. I've written to the 3 FHSs involved to see if they have anyone who could help for a fee (either with or without membership).....Notts have said no but Leics & Derbys simply don't reply one way or the other.

Comment

have you looked for cds with the transcripts? a lot urials from the 1760's have age in them, so that can narrow down some hudsons. it may just be easy to make a list of all the parishes you have so far, and find all the hudsons in them. then try to match any up.

Comment

Thanks for that tip, kylejustin.....unfortunately, most of these "border parishes" haven't been transcribed. There's someone offering a "one name search" study of Leicestershire, but Shepshed etc are there in their "unchecked" form, but it might be worth getting it. From what I can see, having looked at a lot of Hudsons, most of them drifted over from Derbyshire....& some drift back again, some stay in Leics & some go to Notts. But it may well be worth getting that one name study for Leics....at least I'd have something to work with

Comment

im looking at wallis' in rutland. there are heaps, and i found a tree, and ones in tiny insignificant parishes were related, so it may be the luck you need.

Comment

Another interesting point is that, if my William isn't the son of John & Mary, then, as far as I can see, they didn't name a child William. Mary's father was William.
                            Last edited by greyingrey; 18-06-11, 06:59.

Comment

Working...
                            X