Ad aware - free version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad aware - free version?

I tried to run my free version of Ad Aware and first received a message that a newer version was available so I selected it. Last evening and it appeared to work well and all was clear. The summary was followed by an advert to purchase the full version ARO 2011 or have it free if I agreed to my email address being forwarded on to another supplier i.e. Sony etc.
    I have declined and have a message now saying that the cleaning up of odds and ends on my PC have not been completed.
    I cannot get rid of this message either it keeps poping up.
    Can anyone tell me what is going on did I click the wrong button, is this a safe programme?
    I have an added gem only since this happened but it maybe from some other source and that is an additonal Tool Bar 'Search Ask' with loads of Icons. It just appeared when I switched tonight.
    Any information appreciated. Thank you.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I think I would delete the toolbar I am very wary of any Toolbars that download themselves , are you saying you are getting a pop up ?
    Oh and try and delete ad aware then reinstall it but dont click on anything unless you want it .

Comment

Val,
      Will take an experts advice, thank you for your help.

Goodnight
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I have never found the need to have anything other than anti virus programme - AVG free which seems to keep everything going fine as regards any threats to the security of my PC and 2 laptops. You can stop pop up by looking in the options of your web browser. I use Google Chrome which seems quick to load and does all I need. I go for the KISS principle - Keep it simple sweetie!
        Margaret

Comment

ARO 2011 is nothing to do with the application of Ad-Aware
          It would not have installed itself, as it is a common piece of software (not a virus etc) and would have required someone downloading the trial version from their site.

ARO 2011 is a program that claims to improve your computer by optimising the registry and cleaning old and 'junk' files.
          It would be a trial version and is little if not no use at all to you, as the trial only cleans old temporary files that are not really causing you a problem.
          It will offer to cle/amend a few of what it feels are problems with your system, but after doing this for a certain number, it will then tell you that you need to purchase the full version.

registry and system cleaning programs are not any use unless you have major speed or resource issues with your PC, so I advise that you use the Add/remove in control panel to remove it.
          Just like many 'utility' programs, it may have had the Ask browser toolbar bundled as part of its package, this too you can just remove via yor add/remove in control panel.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hello Trevor,
            I agree with all that you say and I just cannot work out how I managed to download ARO 2011 but clearly my fault. I had a notice when I switched on a couple of days ago that there was a new version of Ad Ware - Update now and that was the result. The tool bar definately came with this programme. I have uninstalled ARO2011 and the Ask Tool Bar.

I still have Ad Ware on and wonder if I really need it. I use Vista on my PC and MS Essentials.

I noticed when in the uninstal programmes mode that I had many Adobe programmes (Acrobat 5.0, AIR, Flash Player 10 Active X, Reader 9.4.4) + Malawarebytes that I don't think I have ever used.

I do have the I-Player and view and download the Census etc. I do not download any music so I now wonder if I need all the items mentioned.

I do appreciate your help, thank you.
            Margaret N

Comment

Working...
            X