What is this place please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this place please?

I'm trying to work out a place of origin from 1851 census for a couple. I've now got a handle on the top one - Holsworthy - but the bottom one defeats me. Can anybody with Devon knowledge help me out?
    Attached Files

North Petherton? I don't know Devon so can't say if such a place exists.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Struggling with the first word but the the rest could possibly be North Petherton? It's not far from Bridgewater.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Looks like North Petherton to me but I have just found thats in Somerset. There's a Devon parish called North Petherwin.

Anne

Comment

its difficult, but north petherton fits.

Comment

is it possible north petherton was a town which swapped with the counties?

Comment

Think its too far away from the border. Maybe the enumerator chose the wrong word Petherton and Petherwin are very similar.

Anne

Comment

Thanks a lot folks. That's sorted it now. It's North Petherwin which matches entries found in 1841 for loads of people with the same surname. By 1851, which was the image I posted, the lady was in Newport, Wales.

Comment

That's not all that unusual. The enumerator probably presumed it was the North Pether##n he knew about, and "corrected" the entry as he went along. (Thats another reason why sites like FMP are very wary of "correcting" transcriptions if the image appears to support the existing transcription.)

I have a great-great-uncle (or so) who was baptised in Lymington, in Hampshire. He was in Surrey in a later census, and the enumerator appears to have decided he meant his PoB was "Leamington"!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In 1911 one of mine just put Wiltshire as p.o.b. The enumerator helpfully added Bath, which was a bit wide of the mark.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                    X