Jedburgh Court of Justiciary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedburgh Court of Justiciary

Just discovered that I probably have a GGGrandfather who was tried at the Jedburgh Court of Justiciary and sent to NSW Australia.

Is there any way of getting the court records? Sorry if this is an obvious query but I have never looked at Scottish records before.

Thanx

Scottish Borders archives are based at Hawick, if there is nothing there then you may have to go via National Archives Scotland.

Live satellite broadcasts, community events, office spaces and more at Heart of Hawick, the premier entertainment centre and cafe bar in the Borders.

National Archives catalogues relating to crime and criminals will give you the ref numbers for the different categories of records;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

This appears on the NAS website regarding transportation;

Information on prisoners sentenced to be transported can be found in the registers for the local prisons (see below) serving the courts where they were sentenced. However, because prisoners were shipped from England there is often further information in the Home Office records at The National Archives, London (TNA). These records include the transportation registers, 1787-1870, microfilm copies of which (NAS ref. RH4/160/1-7) are available for consultation at West Register House. The registers are arranged chronologically by the date of departure of each ship, and the information given is the name of the convict and where, when and for how many years he was sentenced. The State Library of Queensland has indexed these registers and compiled a database which is available over the internet and includes over 123 000 of the estimated 160 000 convicts transported to Australia during the period. The database can be accessed via the link under ‘Other websites’ on the left-hand side of this page.

The link referred to is below

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 16-06-11, 13:08.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not what you asked, but have you checked the 19th Century British Library Newspapers to see if there is a reference to the court case.
        Elaine

Comment

Good Morning Glen and Elaine,

thank you for the information, I'll just have brekky before I follow it. (was up late last night!)

No, I hadn't thought of the British newspapers, Elaine.

Whoops - forgot to post this!!!! :o

Found Him:

ReferenceTitleDate AD14Crown Office precognitions1801-1900 AD14/38Crown Office precognitions, 18381838 Country code GB Repository code 234 Repository National Archives of Scotland Reference AD14/38/198 Title Precognition against Helen Scott, James Pringle for the crime of theft, habit and repute, and previous convictions 1838 Access status Open

Location On site

Level File
          Finding aids 19th Century Solemn Database Related record JC26/1838/229
          Accused Helen Scott, Address: Prisoner in Selkirk
          James Pringle, stocking maker, Address: Hawick, Roxburghshire

Associated places

NA4265Alloa, Stirlingshire, Scotland

Glen - that NAS is a very confusing site for first timers!!! (but thank you )
          Last edited by Yvonne from Oz; 17-06-11, 06:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Yvonne from Oz View Post

No, I hadn't thought of the British newspapers, Elaine.
            There are a few lines about him on the following newspaper

Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Monday, September 17, 1838; Issue 18517.

If you haven't got access to the newspaper collection then let me know and I will forward a copy to you.
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thank you again - I would appreciate a copy of the article in the newspaper you mentioned.
              I did go looking and found the one you mentioned but I do not have access.

Thankx

Comment

It's only a few lines so have uploaded to PB

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Yvonne from Oz View Post
                  Glen - that NAS is a very confusing site for first timers!!! (but thank you )

The indexing does take some getting used to, searching the catalogue is really the trick, the main thing to make a note of is the main record set (i.e. AD14), that way you can create a list of all record types for that particular record type.

I get on with it fairly well but probably as I use it frequently at the mining museum, just don't ask me for a repeat performance via the TNA, I usually flounder with their indexing.

And just as a bit of trivia, the date of the news article is my birthday, but i'm a bit younger than the newspaper itself

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                  X