Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electoral Roll Harlesden NW10 - where to find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Roll Harlesden NW10 - where to find?

Does anyone know where Electoral Rolls for 1946, Harlesden, NW10 would be available to search please?

I am hoping to find out who was living at 201,High Street, Harlesden in Sep 1946.

Many Thanks
    Helen in Glos

I think you can see them (if available) at the library local to the address - try this link http://www.brent.gov.uk/officeloc.ns...n+Library+Plus. We have found at times that the librarians are very helpful if you email a nice polite plea for help and they will do the look up for you.
    Margaret

Comment

No Electoral Rolls were compiled during the war years but I think they were taken again in late 1946.

Electoral rolls will only show you who was entitled to vote from that address, not a complete family of course.

OC

Comment

Thank you Margaret, I will contact the library and take it from there.

OC, thanks a good point, I had completely forgotten that they were not compiled during the war. My father in law came to the UK from Gibraltar to live with Aunt/Uncle we think. We don't know who they were but have just found the address on the incoming passenger list recording my F -i-Ls passage to the UK. It was just perhaps a good place to start.

Thanks for your help.
        Helen in Glos

Comment

Might be worth seeing if they are listed in any phone books - there are some on ancestry.
          margaret

Comment

The electoral rolls will only show those who were eligible and registered to vote, I know from the ones I have checked from just before and just after the war it can be a bit hit and miss, residential directories probably wouldn't be much help either as they only record the head of the house.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

And as far as phone books are concerned, the vast majority of people either couldn't afford a phone or couldn't claim sufficient priority to get connected.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Also, for phone books, you need to know a surname - Helen doesn't know the surname.

OC

Comment

You're right I don't know the surname but after Margaret's suggestion I have done a search of the phone books on ancestry using 2 possible surnames, assuming that it was family that he went to, but no joy.

However, Brent library have replied already and advised the electoral rolls are with Brent Archives, there is a charge for them to undertake a search but I will email them tomorrow and find out the details. I know it's a long shot but it just feels like that it's an avenue worth pursuing.

Thanks for all your help, I will keep you posted.
                  Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
                  X