Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1854 deaths of two children buried same day ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1854 deaths of two children buried same day ?

how common was it for two siblings to be buried the same day ?

Was quite surprised to find two children of the same family buried the same day.

One was 2 and a half ,the other 5 years and 2 months .

Were there any epidemics in 1854 ????

Wouldn't have needed to be an epidemic, something like measles could have killed both children, or smallpox or any of the other deadly but common illnesses.

A lot earlier than this, I have all six children of a family dying in less than three weeks of smallpox.

OC

Comment

I had two adult sisters buried the same day(Sep 28 1854). One was a direct ancestor and her death certificate shows that she died of Asiastic Cholera.

Sandra

Comment

Yes, cholera very likely! the old saying was "well before breakfast, buried after dinner". Cholera was fast and deadly.

Of course, only the death certs will tell you what they actually died of.....

OC

Comment

Thanks Sandra and OC, having to be very careful what Certs I get now but very tempted .

Comment

Scarlet fever was rampant then Val. I had 2 sisters aged 4 and 1 die within 3 weeks of each other through it.
            Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

I had 6 children of one family in my one name study die and were buried within 3 weeks in April/May 1883, 2 on the same day, 1 2 days prior, one 2 days after and a couple approximately 10 days after that, then 1 the year after at the beginning of 1884, 1 at the beginning of 1891 and another 2 in 1892 (Thanks to SmallTownGirl for getting me that info from Matlock ), all 10 children died from measles.
              Last edited by chrisj1961; 15-06-11, 23:18. Reason: forgot something :)

Comment

thats so sad Jen and Chris, how awful to lose so many.

Comment

Virtually any disease that was around then could killed the children. A lot of those conditions we don't hear much of these days because of
                  immunisation beginning at an early age.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I've found burial registers very useful in situations like this.
                    My rellies were in villages & small towns rather than cities - the vicar often added "measles/whooping cough/scarlet fever etc" as cause of death.
                    Singly, these illnesses came round in turn every couple of years and wreaked havoc across the community. It was a great leveller and affected wealthy families as well as the poor.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If you google "epidemic timeline" you will get a site that tells of the major world epidemics.

But I agree - poverty and childhood illness could be enough to have a devastating effect on a family.
                      My gg grand mother and her daughter died just days apart from Typhus fever.
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

In a cemetery nearby I saw a grave which had two maybe 3 children buried the same day... but this burial was in the past 20 years.. I was interested in finding out the cause by comparing it to a local newspaper.. but thought better of it.

Comment

I had 2 buried on the same day in the 1870s. One was aged 20 the other (his brother) aged 2. The older one had died as the result of an accident and the younger of some childhood illness. So burials on the same day could be just horrible chance.

Anne

Comment

My grandfather's twin sisters died at the same time in the 1890s, of whooping cough.

Comment

thanks for all your replies very sad reading.

Comment

my 3rd great grandad died from heart attack at 44 in 1870. on the same page as his death cert is his son age 17, but i havnt got the cert yet.

i have another family who had 12 kids, they lost 8 in 2 years in scotland. i forget the cause, but it was the same illness for all of them. they were 9mths-17.

Comment

terrible isn't it Kyle ???

Comment

yes it is. i hate seeing child deaths, but it makes it easier sorting out all the relatives. especially the further back you go. i just hate it when the best fit for an ancestor turns out to have died young.

Comment

If you've found a burial for 2 siblings on the same day, it may be that they both died of the same illness. But they might also have died in an accident. If it doesn't say in the burial register, you'll need to get death certs.

I once found children of 3 different families - there were a set of cousins, first cousins and first cousins once removed - all buried within a few weeks in summer 1832. I am assuming they died of some epidemic but it could have been anything - in those days they wouldn't be able to deal with diarrhoea, which as a side-effect of many illnesses, would kill children through dehydration.

1854 there was a cholera epidemic, I think.
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I had a family of 5, parents and 3 children who all had running death certificate numbers (in NSW every cert. has a unique number). I was curious enough to get one to see - they all died by drowning in flash flood - at least two of the bodies were never found. Large amount of national coverage in the newspapers, a very very sad story. Even this year, in the Queensland floods, there are more than one family with deaths on the same day.

Di
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia
                                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                                        X