Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

I am going to get another subscription but dont know whom to opt for, Most of my research is in Warwickshire, but on my last Subscription to FMP there were very few records of interest and i didnt get my monies worth at all.

Would appreciate input and views so i could decide, thank u in advance

Ancestry for me ,although I do have FMP at present too as my husband treated me at xmas but to be honest the only thing I use FMP for mostly is the census records as quite often can find it on FMP but not on Ancestry ????

Comment

Thanks Val appreciate ur input.

Comment

especially if you have many Londoners ,the LMA stuff has saved me so much money.

Comment

LOL ur lucky Val i wish.

Comment

You need to identify what it is you are looking for and then identify the site that has the most databases in those categories.
            Is it Parish records and or census information? Is it that your ancestors may have gone abroad?

FMP has a pay as you view option so that might be worth thinking about again. Ancestry has a 14 day free trial so maybe have a go at that.

Margaret

Comment

yes very very lucky except quite a lot of the Certs had been purchased some time ago so could have saved lots more lol

Comment

Think i will go with the ancestry free trial and see if its improved much since i last had a subscription :-)

Comment

fmp has lots of warwickshire parish records, maybe hey dont have the parishes you need?

Comment

Its Mainly Birmingham and unfortunatly cause its such a big area there are not many records transcribed yet.

Comment

Just an update on Ancestry free trial ~ I am not very impressed with the search results, doesnt seem half as good as when i used to use it a few years ago, I tended to waste a lot of time looking at useless records.

Comment

Hi DR,
                        That's probably because you are using the new search by default. You can access the old search this way:
                        On the home page click on search - 3rd one along on the bar, click search all records on drop down box.
                        If you look under that bar on the RH side , in very small letters, it says "Go to old search"
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat thank u so much for that tip :-)

Comment

I have both, but several things sway me to FMP. Their record transcription is much, much better than Ancestry. Ancestry drives me mad when you ask fora particular name it comes up with hundreds (sometimes) varieties which just complicates the search. If you are searching outside UK well Ancestry is the way to go.
                            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                              Ancestry drives me mad when you ask fora particular name it comes up with hundreds (sometimes) varieties which just complicates the search. If you are searching outside UK well Ancestry is the way to go.
                              Use the "old search method" and tick the box for exact matches - and you get exactly what you ask for, no name/place variations which as you say complicates the search.
                              Elaine

Comment

As Ancestry and FMP offer different facilities, only you can decide which one you want that is going to be best for your research.

I have subscriptions to both FMP and Ancestry Worldwide. Ancestry Worldwide is a must if you have ancestors from America/Canada or other places so as to access the US/Canadian Census and immigration/emmigration records. I also use Ancestry for my First World war army records and the London LMA records. The Parish and Irish records on Ancestry are a waste of space. I use FMP for all the Census as I find FMP better to use for this purpose. FMP also have army records pre First World War which is also my interest. FMP also have the outgoing passenger records which I find I need and FMP have far more parish records than Ancestry with more coming on all the time. I am lucky as I have Northants ancestors and many Northants records are on FMP.

If you just want parish records then your best bet is to google Birmingham Family History Society to find out what they can offer you in the way of CD's/Fiche for the various parishes of your interest. Free Reg is also becoming very good but it will be a few years before most parish records will be online. Even a visit to the relevant CRO for the Birmingham area would be a good idea as long as you do not live in Australia!

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 19-06-11, 15:26.

Comment

Pat,

have you seen and used http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/index.html they have alot of records for warks and surrounding areas.. I have found it helpful and more is being added.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes julie i have used that site for years and every now and then go back for a look to see whats news, My rellies didnt wander far from Warwickshire lol.

Comment

Working...
                                    X