Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunners ???????????
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

How about Gunner RNA (could it be Royal Navel Auxiliary - just a stab in the dark, I know nothing about these things)
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

thanks Herky shoud have said the next lot of writing

Comment

oooopps - silly me - off for another wee look!
          herky

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmm - difficult ---- Lt (letter sent) 27/3/ 57
            but I can't make the name of the first word out - likely to be a place.
            herky

Comment

In another entry( for B Taylor) it has a similar word "Portsmo" - could be shorthand for Portsmouth if it is the navy
              herky

Comment

Could be Portsmo short for Portsmouth. where was he based?

snap Herky!
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

He he - we all get there in the end - teamwork!
                  herky

Comment

thanks very much this is my first find in the Crimean War so quite excited .

Comment

I am sure it reads Portsmouth letter sent 21 5 57 there is a break between letter m and o on Portsmouth... the previous replies semm to be looking at the one above him Charles Turrell

Comment

Sorry Val - I have just realised that I was looking at the entry above - my eyes must have drifted upwards - oopps - sorry about that.
                        As Colin says - Portsmouth letter sent 21/5/57
                        herky

Comment

thanks Colin and Herky its easily done . Wonder who the letter was sent to ??? hmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Being listed as a Gunner I would suggest he was a Royal Marine Artillery Gunner belonging to the ships company of HMS Amphion a 36 gun wooden hulled frigate screw driven

Comment

The letter would be to inform his commanding officer of marines that he is named to receive a gallantry or active service medal for action in the Baltic

Comment

thanks very much for that information Pilgrim

Comment

Working...
                                X