Where do they go ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do they go ?

In Ancestry, when I find, say, a census record that I want to save, if I click on the "save this image to your harddrive or removable disc", and then either just let the system save it to where it wants to or a place of my choice, say, the Family History folder in My Documents, it "disappears" - i.e. I can see it there when I save the next document, but when I just open the folder afterwards to find the documents to print them (or whatever)they're just not there.

BUT, if I save the record to a memory stick, the records are there when I go looking for them.

Anyone have any ideas where they're hiding, please?

STG

PS : Apols if I've not explained this clearly!
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Are you usimg Windows 7?
    Marion
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Yes, Windows 7.

Comment

I have just gone through this myself - it took me several days to work it out!

Go to this link and work through it step by step very carefully - it does work -

Marion

Comment

I had done that already, but I've undone it and re-done it. Then I saved another census record, but it's "disappeared" just as before.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

I had that trouble with IE on a Vista PC have you tried using googlechrome ? might work

Comment

Not tried Googlechrome. Worth thinking about though.

Thanks

Comment

The problem stems from the new 'enhanced' image viewer that Ancestry advises that you use.
                If you use the old viewer and then use a right-click > save image as action, it saves fine

I noticed this at the beginning of last year, so it seems that Ancestry is using software that is not compatible with the most common browser used (IE 7 and 8)
                It's the same with Adobe and its latest PDF viewer, where there is an issue with it working inside Internet Explorer

Shame that Microsoft and other software companies don't talk to each other :(

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I havve just tried to save a census on my computer using IE. All worked OK, saved the file in downloads and then went to the folder and it was there. If it helps at all I have IE9 loaded and the version of windows I am using is Vista, although I am using it through Parallels on my mac. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Linda
                  LindaG

Comment

> if you use the old viewer ...

How, please?

Comment

1. Open an image to be saved
                      2. Go to Options in the Image Viewer bar at the top of the page
                        Look at the items and you will see the Enhanced viewer has a tick next to it
                      3. If it is on 'Enhanced Image Viewer change to 'Basic Viewer by clicking on the Enhanced Viewer title (this will remove the tick)
                      4. click OK, and your browser will refresh the image being displayed
                      5. You then use the right-click and 'save image as' option to save the image

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks.

I'll give it a go.

STG

Comment

Under the Trusted Sites section did you untick the "Require Server Verification (https) for all sites in this zone" box. That is the important bit - that way *.ancestry.com will become a trusted site and the photo should save where you told it.
                          Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                            Under the Trusted Sites section did you untick the "Require Server Verification (https) for all sites in this zone" box. That is the important bit - that way *.ancestry.com will become a trusted site and the photo should save where you told it.
                            Marion
                            Yep.

It's not that there's not a way around the problem, it's just a bit annoying, especially as I have to unplug the printer in order to plug in the memory stick, save stuff to the stick, copy the files from the stick to the hard drive, remove stick, re-plug in the printer and .... Well, you get the idea.

Comment

Have you tried removing the tick from 'Enabled Protected Mode' ?

Tools>Internet Options>Security (Tab)

Then:
                              Still in Security - click on 'Trusted Sites' then 'Sites' button and add 'http://search.ancestry.co.uk/ to the list.

That's what I did to clear the same problem.
                              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

That was the bit I missed the first time so it didn't work (got too excited and read the destructions too quickly!) OK - if that still hasn't worked and the Old Viewer option hasn't worked either you may have to try this - I wasn't going to go into too many details on the problem as I thought the allowing ancestry as a trusted site would work.

It seems Windows 7 thinks you might not have meant to download the file (i.e. a malicious program might be doing it), so it goes and hides them in a hidden "virtualized" folder which the Windows search engine will not touch.
                                I downloaded a free search program called Agent Ransack, from Mythicsoft. This searches all folders, so you can find what Windows tries to keep hidden. (Unlike some search programs this one runs on demand only, so it doesn't use up resources all the time the computer is switched on.) With the help of Agent Ransack, I found out where the Ancestry downloads were going, then I made a shortcut to the folder on the desktop. I warn you that the file it will find it in will probably be something like C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\xxxxx\whatever destination you make (I put them under a special folder under Pictures called Ancestry Downloads!)
                                If you try and find that folder from Windows itself you will get as far as Temporary Internet Files and that’s as far as you will go – there are no Virtualized folders according to general Windows searches!!!!!
                                So if you don’t want to keep unplugging the printer for the stick this should be the answer for you – just make sure you put a shortcut on the desktop when Agent Ransack finds the folder!
                                Good luck,

Marion

PS - Once you have them in the folder on the desktop you can then easily transfer them to any folder you want.
                                Last edited by MarionH; 14-06-11, 11:43. Reason: PS

Comment

Originally posted by Old Holborn View Post
                                  Have you tried removing the tick from 'Enabled Protected Mode' ?

Tools>Internet Options>Security (Tab)

Then:
                                  Still in Security - click on 'Trusted Sites' then 'Sites' button and add 'http://search.ancestry.co.uk/ to the list.

That's what I did to clear the same problem.
                                  Well, blow me down with a feather!

I had some version of http://ancestry ......... in at the beginning. Didn't work.

Changed it to *.ancestry.com as per instructions. Didn't work.

Just changed it to http://search.ancestry.co.uk/ and IT WORKS !!!

Hurahhhhhhhhhh!!

Thanks one and all.

STG

Comment

the best thing was to use
                                    HTTP;//*.ancestry.co.uk
                                    This will allow any page on Ancestry.co.uk to be trusted and not just the search area
                                    the use of the * before the full-stop is a 'woldcard'
                                    Which means it will accept anything at all written before the .ancestry.co.uk
                                    Don't forget to do the same, and add HTTP:// *.ancestry.com as well in the trusted zone.

That is why your other attempts did not work STG, you had not included the HTTP:// as part of the address.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                      the best thing was to use
                                      HTTP;//*.ancestry.co.uk
                                      This will allow any page on Ancestry.co.uk to be trusted and not just the search area
                                      the use of the * before the full-stop is a 'woldcard'
                                      Which means it will accept anything at all written before the .ancestry.co.uk
                                      Don't forget to do the same, and add HTTP:// *.ancestry.com as well in the trusted zone.

That is why your other attempts did not work STG, you had not included the HTTP:// as part of the address.

Au contraire. I did have http:// in my first attempt (see post 17), but it wasn't working.

Anyway, whatever I've done works now, so I'm a happy bunny.

STG

Comment

Working...
                                      X