Army Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Records

Trying to find information on my grandfather who fought in the first world war. I have his "soldiers pay book for use on active service" it gives his name, number, rank, regiment, unit, date of attestation etc. Using TNA I can find a soldier of that name but the dates of service are not the same. How can I be sure it the right soldier? Is there anywhere else to look?

There are some WW1 soldiers records on Ancestry. Unfortunately a significant proportion of the records were destroyed in the second World War but if the soldier served overseas there should be at least a medal card to view (these are the same as are available to pay per view on the TNA).

If you would like to post his name and number I can have a look to see what's available there
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks very much. The details I can read (there is a bullet hole through it, he survived) are: John McKinnon, The Royal Scots, Private, No. 11861, Date of Attestation 19/08/1914, enlisted aged 19, this pay book commenced on 15/12/1917, 11th Battalion, "B" company.

Comment

There is a medal card on there

Private John McKinnon 11th Btn R Scots No. 11861
        Awarded the Victory, British War medals and 15 Star
        He was also awarded the Silver War Badge (for his injuries)

Theatre of War 1st served in - France
        Date of entry therein - 11.5.15

For help interpreting the entries there is guidance here

All about the British Army of the First World War. Find how to research the men and women who served, and stacks of detail about the army organisation, battles, and the battlefields.

Is this what you got from TNA?
        Last edited by Night Owl; 11-06-11, 21:24. Reason: Info added
        Jackie

Comment

The back of the card has the address

70 Eagles Street
          Plantation
          Glasgow
          Jackie

Comment

I'm afraid I can't find a service or pension record on Ancestry so it looks as though they may not have survived the damage.

If you post a query on The Great War Forum with all the information you have, they may be able to give you more information. Luckily you have his pay book which could help.
            Jackie

Comment

Thats great, thank very much. Did you get that from TNA? I was getting a John McKinnon who served from 1914-1920 which I knew was incorrect. You have the correct John McKinnon, the address should be Eaglesham Street in Plantation.
              Is there a item no. so I can order the medal card?
              I will post on the Great War forum.
              Thanks again.

Comment

I got it from Ancestry. They are the record cards from the TNA but, if I remember rightly, the TNA ones only have the front of the cards (in most cases there is nothing written on the back). If you PM me your email address I'll send it over.

I think the dates on TNA are the entire period that all the medal cards covered rather than for any particular soldier.
                Last edited by Night Owl; 11-06-11, 22:23.
                Jackie

Comment

Working...
                X