Griffith Dobson marriage or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffith Dobson marriage or not ?

Griffith Dobson (known as Griffy) was my husbands 5xGt Grandfather c.1720 Bolton.

As far as I can make out Griffith was somewhat of a ladies man & there are 4 that I have found.*Mary Clark? who I believe was the mother of Thomas 1769 (hubbies 4xGt Grandad)
    There were also Ann ? Ellen? & Margaret Mann.
    Some of Griffys other children were Edward 1775 & Alice 1771

I don't know which of the ladies were the mother of the other children & I cannot find
    a marriage for Griffith Dobson.

I have found most of my info via parish records - St Peters C of E Bolton le Moor but have reached a brick wall now.

any help greatly appreciated
    ​Bettyespana

There are 4 marriages on Family search plus some baptisms for other dobsons.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Agriffith~%20 %2Bsurname%3Adobson~%20%2Bany_place%3A%22St.%20Pet er%20Parish%2C%20Bolton-Le-Moors%2C%20Lancashire%2C%20England%22~
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 10-06-11, 12:55.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It's also obvious there were at least two Griffith dobson as one married in 1724, so can't be yours! The younger one who married in 1739 was called Griffith Dobson Lever on his marriage allegation.

OC

Comment

This has really thrown me now as from my info notes I have both Ann & Ellen.Also there are 3 areas of Bolton with the name Lever in them.Darcy Lever,Little Lever & Gt Lever.I wonder if Griffith lived in one of these.
        The c.1720 I stated as a possible birth date had only been a guess,so I am now wondering if this is one & the same person who perhaps married twice.I have to apologise as I put the wrong birth date in for Thomas his son.It should have said abt.1742/3.Thomas was baptised at St Peters 9.12.1743
        The date I had given you was the date of Thomas' son also of the same name
        ​Bettyespana

Comment

Thank you for this Wendy.
          ​Bettyespana

Comment

I looked at the Family Search site & I found a marriage between a Gryphy Dobson to a Mary Clark at St Peters Bolton le Moor 25.Aug 1740.M00715-2

So this points to the one I thought maybe the mother of Thomas.Just need to find something to confirm that now!
            Last edited by bettyespana; 11-06-11, 12:52.
            ​Bettyespana

Comment

Who's this then?

Griffin Dobson or Lever, born 17 Nov 1704, baptised 19 Nov 1704 St Peter Bolton le Moors, parents Thomas Lever and Alice Dobson.

This is a submitted entry, however it has definite dates and would therefore be worth following up in the parish register.

OC
              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 11-06-11, 21:16. Reason: spelling

Comment

looks like he was illegitimate oc. but as there is an actual date mentioned, i would say it has a high chance of being correct.

Comment

Oh, definitely illegitimate and the actual register might have some more useful information.

Also, the burials of the various wives will be on the register and will help to prove whether it's one man or four we are talking about!

OC

Comment

very true, and all exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Who's this then?

Griffin Dobson or Lever, born 17 Nov 1704, baptised 19 Nov 1704 St Peter Bolton le Moors, parents Thomas Lever and Alice Dobson.

This is a submitted entry, however it has definite dates and would therefore be worth following up in the parish register.

OC
                      I think Griffin may be the father of the Griffith/Gryphy c. 1720 ? who is my original subject.Maybe he is also the Griffith who married Ellen Greenhaugh in 1724,as in post 3.
                      The marriage of Gryphy to Mary Clark 25Aug 1740(as post 6) produced Alice bapt. (2.12 1740),Thomas bapt.(9.12.1743) William bapt(3.7.1747)

What do you think?
                      ​Bettyespana

Comment

What I THINK is that Grif Dobson or Lever born 1704 is the Grif Dobson Lever who married Ann Whittle in 1738/9. Beyond that, everything else is a guess and I'm afraid you need the original PR to sort it out as not all the records are on the internet.

OC

Comment

What I THINK is that Grif Dobson or Lever born 1704 is the Grif Dobson Lever who married Ann Whittle in 1738/9. Beyond that, everything else is a guess and I'm afraid you need the original PR to sort it out as not all the records are on the internet.

OC
                          Thank you for your reply & advice.I will be visiting UK for a month from next week & I have discovered that all the Bolton Parish Registers are now in the Archives at
                          Manchester Central Library.So there is a visit now on the agenda.
                          It will be mid-July before I get back but I will get back to you then with any results I may have(fingers crossed).In the meantime I would like to say to anyone who has tried to help in this matter that your input has been much appreciated.

Kind regards
                          bettyespana
                          ​Bettyespana

Comment

Did I not read somewhere that the archives in Manchester library are going to be unavailable for ages due to a major building refurbishment?
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

yes 2 years i think.

Comment

Yes, Central Library is closed until 2013. There is a temporary venue at the City Library in Deansgate but it's not clear (to me!) whether they have any parish records there.

EDIT - It looks as if Bolton Library (Central) has a full copy of the registers, but you'd better check with them that this is uptodate information before you make a special trip!

OC
                                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 13-06-11, 17:28.

Comment

Yes, Central Library is closed until 2013. There is a temporary venue at the City Library in Deansgate but it's not clear (to me!) whether they have any parish records there.

EDIT - It looks as if Bolton Library (Central) has a full copy of the registers, but you'd better check with them that this is uptodate information before you make a special trip!

OC
                                  Thanks for this.I have just checked with Bolton which is nearer to where I will be & yes they have copies of these registers.They are actually in the History Centre which is housed next door in Bolton Museum.I don't have to make a appointment or book a time so that's great.

Watch this space!
                                  bettyespana
                                  ​Bettyespana

Comment

Hello again I am now back with some very interesting information & conclusion of my search into Griffith Dobson.
                                    Here are the results of our personal search of the St Peters Parish Records at Bolton History Centre 20.6.2011
                                    Griffin Dobson was b.17 11.1704 Gt.Boton. bapt. 19.11.1704 St Peters Bolton le Moor.His parents are recorded as Alice Dobson & Thomas Lever (reputed father)...
                                    On 6.10.1724 he married Ellen Greenhaulgh c.1704 under the name of Griffith Dobson Lever.They had Robert b.1728 & Elizabeth b.17.3.1732.
                                    Griffith married Ann Whittle 1.2.1738/9 & he was named as a widower. They had a son John b.1.3.1738/9
                                    Once again Griffith became widowed & married Mary Clark 25.8.1740. They had 2 sons Thomas bapt.9.12.1743,William b.3.7.1747.

So Griffin Dobson & Griffith are the same person with a slight change of christian name & 3 marriages.There was no Griffith c.1720!!
                                    My husband is descended from Thomas Dobson son of Griffith Dobson & Mary Clark.

I checked the details with the archivist just to make sure.

Thank you for all your help.

Betty

Last edited by bettyespana; 20-07-11, 12:30. Reason: incorrect insertion
                                    ​Bettyespana

Comment

Working...
                                    X