1911 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census

For the life of me i still cannot fathom out how to search the 1911 census. I'm trying to find SEPTIMUS RUTHERFORD C1907 northumberland or county durham area.... he had a brother called ROBERT but i have no idea of his dob. I'd love to know their parents and other siblings and address.. basically everything on the census or whatever anyone can find.

thanks in advance x

Perhaps different sites have different methods of searching, but I had no trouble at all finding him on FMP, you just need to put in his name and date of birth if you know it.

Margaret
    Margaret

Comment

Rusty.. i have no trouble finding him on there either.. but i use ancestry and someone once said about looking here and there and sussing out from there who was with who on the 1911... this is what i don't understand... All i need really is his parents but its ok i'll go buy. thanks

Comment

If you don't have Findmypast ...

Go to the 1911 official census site - http://www.1911census.co.uk/
        Search for Septimus Rutherford b c1807
        This shows you that he was living in the Tynemouth registration district, Northumberland.

Do another search on the 1911 official census site,
        this time put RUTHERFORD in the surname box, TYNEMOUTH in the registration district box, and in the section at the bottom for "Other members in the household" enter SEPTIMUS in the firstname box.

This gives you a listing of all the people who had a Septimus Rutherford in the household - in this case I think it is one big happy family!

RUTHERFORD ALICE 1902
        RUTHERFORD ANNIE 1895
        RUTHERFORD DOROTHY 1900
        RUTHERFORD DOUGLAS 1906
        RUTHERFORD GEORGE 1893
        RUTHERFORD JAMES 1864
        RUTHERFORD JAMES 1888
        RUTHERFORD MARY 1897
        RUTHERFORD ROBERT 1904
        RUTHERFORD SARAH 1865
        RUTHERFORD SEPTUMUS 1908

Go the Ancestry - 1911 census summary books

SURNAME = RUTHERFORD
        MALES = 6
        FEMALES = 5
        KEYWORD = TYNEMOUTH

Make a note of :
        Household schedule number: 229
        Civil parish: Tynemouth
        ED, institution, or vessel: 35

Back to Ancestry 1911 census

In drop down box on right
        County = Northuberland
        Civil parish = Tynemouth
        Enumeration District = 35

Images will then appear - and in the box at the top right where it says page 1 of 641, you enter the Household schedule number (229) but you double it, therefore you need to go to 458!

Extremely long winded until Ancestry get their act together and get it indexed.

... and here is the link in case you get lost!

Elaine

Comment

Ooh a professional footballer in the family (but with a "proper job" as a printer! I wonder if they took their Latin seriously. Septimus is the ninth child and 5th son at home, and there are 3 other (presumably older) children not at home.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you so much.. i'm going to keep this message safe so i can go back to it and suss out 1911 alone lol... yes john actually 3 footballers... Septimus... Robert and another brother john ( jack) the latter played
            for Newcastle utd and was late the manager of Stoke City too.. thanks again xxx

Comment

To be honest Tracey, it only worked well because we had an unusual name to start with (Septimus) and that there were so many in the household (6 males, 5 females).

If you had been looking for a Rutherford family in Tynemouth with only a couple of members in the household and with a common first name it would probably have been impossible! Hopefully it wont be too long before Ancestry is indexed.
              Elaine

Comment

As a point of interest try googling Jock Rutherford. He played for NU and had a brother called SEP - Jock not Jack!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                X