Amendment to Birth Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amendment to Birth Certificate

I have recently located an unknown uncle and obtaining the Birth Certificate (Blackpool 1938) have found a note on it stating:

"Addition to Certificate "In Entry No. 83 Col. 4 omit "J R S" Col. 5 for "I M S" read "I M H otherwise S" Col. 6 omit "Landscape Gardener". Corrected on the 12th November 1943 by me H B Firth, Superintendant Registrar, on production of a Statutory Declaration made by I M H otherwise S and E A H otherwise S." (Names removed).

From my limited enquiries I understand the relationship between J R S and I M H was a rather stormy one and ended in the early 40's.

Is it possible to obtain the Statutory Declaration, and if so would it be from the GRO or the Lancashire Records Office or elsewhere.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the Statutory declarations are not kept after a certain number of years - but why not email them and ask! (The local RO)

I don't think it will contain any further information anyway.

OC

Comment

My birth certificate is of the same order. Relationship between my parents was parlous at the time, and eventually my father was sent packing
      back to Jersey. The birth cert said Victor Leonard and apparently my mum hotfooted it down to the registrars office as soon as she was released
      from hospital and changed it to David. (I can honestly say thank goodness). The cert just has the change and the registrars initials in the christian name column. Mind you this is an Australian certificate and may differ from the UK one.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Grumpy

On an English birth certificate, column four gives the name of the father, so in this case the father's name was being removed from the certificate "by statutory declaration". The father must have asked for his name to be removed either:

because he was not married to the mother AND did not accept paternity

or

he WAS married to the mother but could prove that he was not the father of the child - quite a difficult thing to do, actually, unless he could prove absence of over eleven months.

OC

EDIT - Just thought...as this is not your own birth certificate but the birth certificate of someone who may very well still be living, I doubt if the Register Office will tell you anything as the circumstances of the statutory declaration will be covered by the Data Protection Act, or by some law of privacy.
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 08-06-11, 11:07.

Comment

Working...
        X