A man without a family ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A man without a family ?

I've got a Thomas Hudson, born in Cubley, Derbyshire on 29 Jan 1666, who was buried in Cubley on 26 Jun 1719. There's a list of children born to a Thomas Hudson in Cubley at appropriate dates & I think he's the Thomas Hudson who married Hannah Cliffe from Burton on Trent, Staffs in Ashbourne Derbys. (these places are all in the Derby/Staffs border areas)

So, even if Hannah is a red herring, Thomas himself seems pretty straightforward. His father is also given as Thomas Hudson & I think he was the Thomas Hudson born in 1649 in Truesley, Derbys (6 miles from Ashbourne & not far from Cubley).

This is where the trail goes cold. I can't find any siblings for Thomas b 1666 in Cubley, nor a marriage for the Thomas I think is his father. I did think he might have been the Thomas Hudson who married Ellen Ridge in Manchester Collegiate Church/Manchester Cathedral in 1666, but there's a Thomas Hudson living at Great Longstone, Derbys who'd fit the picture more accurately. He had a daughter named Ellen & Great Longstone is up in the High Peak area of Derbys.....much more logical for a connection to Manchester. The Hudsons in Great Longstone had a Thomas baptised there in 1667, so the only way it could be the same family would be if Thomas had been baptised in Cubley in 1666, then baptised again when the family moved north in 1667 & then he/they had moved back to Cubley sometime & he'd died there in 1719.....not very likely, I think.

So, please, can anyone find any siblings for Thomas Hudson, b Cubley, Derbys in 1666, or find a marriage for his father, who was also called Thomas, born Truesley, Derbys in 1649 ?

It looks as though there was a lot of movement at this time from Cheshire/Lancs down to Derbys

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post

This is where the trail goes cold. I can't find any siblings for Thomas b 1666 in Cubley, nor a marriage for the Thomas I think is his father.
    On the new Family Search site there is a baptism of an unnamed female dau of Thomas HUDSON 24 Oct 1664 and of Hester dau of Thomas and Hester HUDSON 10 Dec 1676 in Cubley. These are probable siblings of your Thomas and give a mother's name and earlier marriage date. Problem is if they married 1660 or before there may be no church record as during the interregnum the government took registers out of the hands of the church and appointed civil officers.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks, Judith....doesn't look as though it was Hannah, then (unless Hannah could be switched to Hester). Mmmm.......maybe I can find something for Hester later on. Hannah was a name that was used later in the family, although Hester wasn't. So, maybe the Thomas & Hannah in Ashbourne are "mine" & there was a separate Thomas in Cubley who was nothing to do with me....or maybe Hester was his second wife

(Puts head in bucket)

Comment

I take it that those records taken away from the churches are lost.

Comment

There are some parishes where the civil official was actually the parish priest and so kept the records, others where the registers were written up at a later date - there's a good explanation of what happened on this Kent OPC site http://www.kent-opc.org/researchtips.html

Comment

Thank you very much, Judith. I've found the death of an Esther Hudson in Cubley on 26 April 1746. It states that her mother was named Hannah. Would this indicate that Esther died as a baby/child &/or that she was illegitimate ? (No mention of a father)

Comment

Re the baptism of Hester in 1676.....my Thos' baptism was in 1666....guess it could have been a very late one or written up very late in view of the troubles going on. I had the most likely Hester (wife of Thomas) down as Hester Wallis b Bradley, Derbyshire 1662/4 (can't read my writing). Bradley is the best fit, geographically & her father's name was Samuel, as was one of their sons

Comment

Oh, I see.....have we got our wires crossed......do you think Hester was the mother of Thomas b 1666 ?

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                  Oh, I see.....have we got our wires crossed......do you think Hester was the mother of Thomas b 1666 ?
                  Yes it looks to me as if Thomas senior was married to Hester and that they named 2 of their children after themselves- your Thomas in 1666 and Hester in 1676, but also had at least one other child - a girl who was baptised in 1674. This is only surmise though as the only entry that has a mother's name is the 1676 one.

Comment

Working...
                  X