Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fanny Hicks - any one up for a challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fanny Hicks - any one up for a challenge?

I am helping a friend with her family history. Her tree is very challenging!

This particular branch has got me stumped. Fanny Hicks born 8 May 1861 (just after the census). She is on the 1871 census living with her aunt and uncle Charles and Emma Harrison -
    Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4707; Folio: 39; Page: 28; GSU roll: 847243.
    She married Tom Mann in 1878 (Rotherham).

So, she only shows on one census as Fanny Hicks.

Pam sent for her birth certificate this shows her parents to be Thomas Hicks and Mary Newton. I can not find a marriage. I have no idea if or where they married.

I did wonder if I might find Fanny's family via her aunt. However, her aunt appears to be on her second marriage. So, I am struggling with her as well.

Sandra

its possible the parents never married, or mary was a widow? maybe the married later in life?

Comment

Why was she with her aunt and uncle in 1871 and where were her parents?

Sandra

Comment

can you give marriage for fanny? and her in later census?

Comment

Marriage to Tom Mann 1878 Rotherham. Census (1881) Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4677; Folio: 96; Page: 12; GSU roll: 1342131.
          Census (1891) Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3850; Folio 105; Page 39; GSU roll: 6098960.

Sandra

Comment

couldn't see any marriages for thomas hick/hicks/hix to a newton, other than emma in london around 1900. i suspect maybe they never married, and maybe mary was a widow if they did, hence newton not being the name your looking for?

Comment

I think I might be making progress, but as this is quite complex I would appreciate another pair of eyes just to make sure I am not putting two and two together and making five.

I went back to Fanny's aunt, who should have been Emma Newton at some point in her life. according to the 1871 census she was born in Silverdale Staffordshire c1835. A quick look on igi brought up a Christening for Emma Newton 21 Dec 1834 parents William and Dinah. They also had a daughter named Mary born 1831. This may be Fanny's mother. However, on the 1841 census the three girls shown are Ann born 1829, Hannah born 1835(is this Emma) and Mary born 1839. So this Mary might be fanny's mother. If this assumption is correct and Dinah is the mother of Mary then she remarries in 1845 to Thomas Wareham and is shown on the 1851 census with her daughters Mary born 1839 and Elizabeth born 1842.

As I am now working on the assumption that Mary came from Staffordshire it would seem logical that Mary would marry in Staffordshire.

I can not find a Mary Newton marrying a Thomas Hicks in Staffordshire. However, I did stumble across a marriage for Mary Newton to Thomas Hecks

England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940 about Mary Newton
              Name: Mary Newton
              Father's name: William Newton
              Spouse's Name: Thomas Heeks
              Spouse's Father's Name: Edward Heeks
              Marriage Date: 30 Apr 1855
              Marriage Place: Wolstanton, Staffordshire, England

The registration district is correct for Silverdale and the fathers name is correct. I wonder if this is the missing marriage?

Your thought would be welcome.

Sandra

Comment

i think you cracked it sandra! now all you need to do is find that couple on the 1861 census? and after?

Comment

I found Mary and Thomas in 1861 living with Mary's sister's(Emma)husband to be!! They are a complicated family this lot, particularly when you consider that Charles is still married to his first wife! It gets better Mary's mother married three times not twice as I first thought. I think her third husband is the brother of her daughter's (Emma) first husband!!!

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                    I found Mary and Thomas in 1861 living with Mary's sister's(Emma)husband to be!! They are a complicated family this lot, particularly when you consider that Charles is still married to his first wife! It gets better Mary's mother married three times not twice as I first thought. I think her third husband is the brother of her daughter's (Emma) first husband!!!

Sandra
                    Is that allowed!!?? LOL
                    Margaret

Comment

omg what a family lol

Comment

Working...
                      X