pirie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pirie

Does any one have a Robert Pirie d 1952 in Hampshire, Southampton ,aged about 58,
    or Robert Pirie d1953 in Manchester,Lancashire,aged about 59,may have lived in Berwick on Tweed, Northumberland.Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

what info are you asking about? census? certificates? ancestry? descendants?

Comment

i am trying to find out what happened to my Grandmother`s first husband .My grandmother was Margaret Ann Victoria Taylor.She married Robert Pirie in 1918 in Berwick on Tweed, a son was born in 1919 in Dunbar.He seems to have disappeared around that time.He was in the Royal Scots Greys at the time of his marriage,so I tried tracing him through several War Grave sites ,but no luck.Hope you can help.Thanks

Comment

have you tried looking for a deat cert on scotlandspeople?

Comment

I have thanks, also War Graves ,Edinburgh Memorial, Find my Past ,Ancstry,L.D.S .everywhere! EP

Comment

have you thought about emmigration? to north america or australia? he could have gone to south africa?

Comment

Pirie

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              have you thought about emmigration? to north america or australia? he could have gone to south africa?
              To be honest I hadn`t, but I wouldn`t know where to start.Some else suggested that he could be missing in action ,and is undiscovered.If that`s the case they have to wait a few years to declare him dead .That could be the reason they couldnt marry until 1925

EP.

Comment

I would have thought that the process to declare a person dead would involve creating some records. Perhaps someone on here would know where to look as it's something I've not encountered before.
                It is puzzling thought that you said before your grandmother said she was a spinster on the marriage record whereas she would have been a widow if Robert was declared dead.
                Margaret

Comment

Have a look at this thread on ancestry message boards - it deals with the same problem and may be of help to you. http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics....3043.1/mb.ashx
                  Margaret

Comment

Can you remind us of the details as your other thread got lost on Sunday when the site went down. There are some Robert Pirie listed on Genesreunited but I can't remember his year of birth.
                    Margaret

Comment

Margaret, The information I have is on his marriage cert.He is 24 ,in Jan 1918, so could be 1893/4 according to when he was born before or after census.He is in the Royal Scots Greys, private.He is still in Royal S.G. in 1919 when his son Robert is born. He is not listed as deceased on it.My gran`s sister is the informant on it so it looks as though he is not available to register the birth. Evelyn

Comment

Have a look at genesreunited - there is a person on there who has Robert Pirie b1894 Portknockie which is Scotland. There's another one with Robert Pirie b1893 Keith again Scoltand.
                        Margaret

Comment

Margaret, had a look on this site,thanks for pointing me in the right direction.Hopefully something will turn up.If the folks on it are as helpful as you I can`t fail!
                          Evelyn

Comment

Scottish marriage certs are much more informative than English onesd and if her previous husband had been declared dead then the new marriage cert would say so...always supposing she offered that information of course!

OC

Comment

Here's some information about what happens if some one is missing presumed dead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_absentia. Seems that a death certificate would have been issued at the point when it was accepted the person was dead.
                              In this case it's more likely that he left the wife and she eventually got a divorce so you need to check that and sometimes local newspapers will report such an occurrence so might be worth a visit to the local library to see if anything was published between 1918 and 1925 either about a divorce or a missing in action.
                              The fact that Robert Pirie's name is on the birth certificate for the first child does not mean he was in fact the father so the only proof you had that he was last alive was at the marriage.
                              Margaret

Comment

In 1911 the Royal Scots and Greys are in Barracks in York. There's a Robert Pirie b1893 Aberdeen listed with them. Could this be him?
                                Margaret

Comment

I couldn`t understand why she listed herself as spinster.If they separated or divorced would she think herself single do you think?

EP

Comment

This looks promising ! It `s the closest I have been yet.Do you know how I can check this out?

I will get to the library as soon as possible,to check out divorc etc

Thanks EP.

Comment

Divorce was still a shameful thing in the 1920s, so many people would pretend they were either single or widowed. Hubby number two must have been in on the secret though, as there was a child, which was either his, or not his, if you see what I mean, and she would hardly have been likely to tell hubby number two that her child was illegitimate if he was born in wedlock.

OC

Comment

It gets curiouser and couriouser!I am sure she had a good reason.I am finding it hard to reconcile all these revelations.about my grandmother.who was such a ladylike woman.I know that sounds old fashioned,but I spent a lot of time with my Grandmother,when my Mum was in the W.A.A.F.S, after losing my father in June 1944,and that`s how I remember her.
                                        I am hoping Margaret will come up with some info.to follow up about Robert in York in Royal Scots Greys .EP

Comment

Working...
                                        X