Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone researching the Anderson's of Manchester.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone researching the Anderson's of Manchester.

Richard Anderson was baptised 25th Dec 1825 at Cathedral, Manchester. But according to the igi there is only 1 but if you go on familysearch.orgare there are 2 with the same date. 1 has parents Robert and Ann, the other Robert and Alice. This must be the same person but which set of parents. Robert b1781 and Alice b1795 say on the 1841 that they are living with Richard b1825 and John b1831. On the 1851 just John who they say is their son.
    But Robert had a son in 1802 called Robert by someone called Elizabeth who married Hannah in 1820. So l presumed that Robert and Ann on the igi were Robert and Hannah, but now l am not so sure.

What makes me wonder is that Robert and Alice was married in 1811, they had a son David in 1811 but cannot imagine that they only had him then John in 1831.

I have under Robert and Hannah - Robert b1820, then Richard 1825 and unknown 1828. Is the unknown John? as l cannot find a baptism for him. Also the unknown just gives father's name, Robert.

So in the 1841 census are Richard and John the son's or grandson's or Robert and Alice

Have moved your thread to our Research Qs & As forum, where hopefully some of our members may be able to offer help.
    Elaine

Comment

have you found a christening for john b.1831? if so, are his parents robert and alice?

Comment

Thanks Kyle Justin can you let me know where you found it and the date and where he was baptised so l can get a transcript of it please. I searched but could not find it. Thank you again Gena
        Last edited by Gena47; 07-06-11, 07:56.

Comment

gen i cant find any baptisms on the igi for parents robert and alice anderson. where were they're children born?

Comment

in Manchester or there abouts. Sorry when l read your post early this morning though you had found him. I think he is the unknown Anderson baptised in 1828 but cannot be certain. No cannot find a baptism for John
            Last edited by Gena47; 07-06-11, 10:28.

Comment

Alice is incorrect. This name appears on a transcribed list and is not taken from an original source (it is an "I" batch number).

Parents' names Robert and ANN are what the original record says, so I should forget Alice!

OC

Comment

I thought that but on the 1841 census Richard and John are with Robert & Alice. Then in 1851 John is with Alice and it says son. Richard is married by this time. I have written to Manchester Library asking for the transcribed baptism. What is confusing is that Robert and Alice are either their parents or grandparents. As Robert b1781 had Robert b1802 to an Elizabeth. Then Robert married Hannah (Ann) in 1820

Comment

Well I suppose then that it IS possible the original record has been wrongly transcribed onto the IGI and that the person who compiled the I batch got it right!! You do need to see the original record for yourself. I think Manchester library is closed for refurbishment for two years but I may have that wrong.

OC

Comment

no oc, i think your correct on that one. i think there is a way to get the records though? i think some are still accessible?

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to the Manchester Libary and they told me to send in what l needed with a cheque. The funny thing is that they only do baptism from 1813 for posting. If you want anything before then you have to go in and look at them yourself.I wanted 2 but they are not trhat importamt it was just to clarify the info. Would not mind but this part of the tree l am doing is for my brother in law. As he was interested in his family so l included it with my tree.

Comment

The baptisms before 1813 have probably not yet been transcribed so you will have to go there to look at the original or the microfilm/microfiche which you will then be able to photocopy.

Edna

Comment

Yes but living in the north of Scotland it is impossible.

Comment

Gena47

If you can get to a Family history centre, you can borrow the film of the original record to view there for about £7, I think. Yoiur nearest centre will be listed on their website.

OC

Comment

Tried that but my nearest is 70 miles. So a 140 round trip. But never mind hopefully what l get will sort it out. The others were just for more clarification .

Comment

There is a person on RootsChat.com offering to do look ups at the library

PAT

Comment

Thanks for that Pat will look

Comment

Working...
                                  X