Message gone? Norton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message gone? Norton

Did I do something wrong putting my message on here very sorry if I did .

Granabella

No, nothing wrong with your message!
    We had a problem with the site last night and Tim had to restore it from the previous day's backup. Consequently we lost all of yesterday's posts .. which is probably why you cannot see your original thread.
    If you didn't see the answers that were given, or need some more information, then feel free to post it again.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, I thoght there might be more messages for me.

Granabella

Comment

I certainly saw some replies to your original thread yesterday. If I remember rightly there was one which said avoid Norton at all costs, another which recommended AVG (free) and one which recommended Kaspersky (around about £20 from Tesco .. I think). There may have been others!!
        No problem if you want to start the thread again.
        Elaine

Comment

definitely not Norton , I have Kaspersky and so far its brilliant and you can buy a version which covers more than one pc .

Comment

AVG Free for me

Comment

Definitely Norton for me.
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

Oh well will have to decide do i want to keep AVG free version or would I be better paying for Norton I heard they were very good or will I go for kaspersky which cover two Computers and is a good price i just want to feel as safe as possible thank you for you advice and help.

Granabella

Comment

with Kaspersky you dont need anything else,as its a complete suite

Comment

AVG-free for me. Had it years and no problems.
                    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Stella do I need any thing else with AVG the free version i dont know an lot about it but seem to think I need other things ( hope this makes sence ) if it does I might go for th Kaspersky Oh what to do lol thanks again everyone.

Granabella

Comment

Basically go with what you feel is best
                        You will always get people saying "this is better than that"
                        Truth is most of them work the same way
                        I have personally used Mcafee for many years without problems (£19.95 from Amazon), others i know have used AVG and they have had no problems. Norton on the other-hand, MANY problems reported and I advise to steer clear

One important thing is that Anti-virus will NOT stop spyware or adware, even if they claim they do (AVG, Mcafee all let them through, I can prove by the PCs that students work with in my PC lab, as we test these as part of the course).
                        Most of them come with anti-virus and a firewall, which is essential
                        You need to also have anti-spyware/Adware, such as malwareBytes BUT.... not just downloading the free version, but actuall registering it so it is fully functional.
                        When installed, the free MB does nothing at all until you run a manual scan, which means you may already be infected. The registered version (£19) works in 'real-time' so is activaly scanning the links etc that are in the pages that you are visiting and will block the links that are to known threats (sites with fake virus warnings that then sod up your PC etc). It also warns you if other settings are being changed that would then get you to a site that would infect you. It also keeps itself up to dat with the latest threats and that is another plus when it comes to registering it.

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hello Trevor, if I go with Mcfee the £19.95 from Amazon I then need anti-spyware/Adware called MalwareBytes if I registered version £19.00 so all together it will cost me £38.25 would that cover every thing have I got this correct? thank you for your advice .

Granabella

Comment

I have AVG free on my older (XP) computer and the only problem is that on start up the machine is useless for several minutes, I don't know whether this is an older computer or what. However on my windows& computer I have Norton 360 and it is brilliant. Completely different from the last versions of Norton which were data hungry, took for
                            ever and a day to load up etc etc.
                            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by granabella View Post
                              Hello Trevor, if I go with Mcfee the £19.95 from Amazon I then need anti-spyware/Adware called MalwareBytes if I registered version £19.00 so all together it will cost me £38.25 would that cover every thing have I got this correct? thank you for your advice .

Granabella
                              That is correct
                              Download MalwareBytes from here

It is the official download from them, as they use CNET to host the download for them.
                              I have also seen MalwareBytes as downloads from other file share sites (Torrent sites) that could mean that those are 'doctored' copies that could have trojan viruses and advise to use only official sources for any software download.
                              Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 09-06-11, 21:09. Reason: added download link

Researching:
                              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                                I have AVG free on my older (XP) computer and the only problem is that on start up the machine is useless for several minutes, I don't know whether this is an older computer or what..
                                AVG is extremely memory hungry and you need a system with at least 1GB RAM if you are using the latest version
                                The reason I steer away from promoting Norton, is that it previously had too many compatibility issues with Windows Vista/7, for which Norton were not interested in correcting, only blaming Microsoft.
                                They may have corrected in the latest version, but I do not like their support ethics
                                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 09-06-11, 21:10. Reason: typos

Researching:

Comment

For those who have been following this thread;

The reason I do not use AVG (it has been getting good reviews for the latest version) and prefer to pay for my protection is that the main advantage of paid security suites over the free ones is that they get updates for new threats faster than the free suites do.
                                  This is because it is the companies that create the paid security suites that do the main identifying of threats and then find solutions, before publishing the details to the general IT security industry for them to correct their own products..

Mcafee has historically been one of the first to identify new threats on a consistent basis.
                                  And a combination of Mcafee (Antivirus, Firewall and Site Advisor) with MalwareBytes (fully registered) has kept my work and personal laptops clean for the past 6 years, as well as my son's and parents
                                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 09-06-11, 21:47.

Researching:

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for all your advice it has been a great help I think I will go for the Mcafee or Norton but am drawn towards mcafee will have a good think about it thank you all again sorry for the delay getting back couldn't be helped.

Granabella

Comment

Working...
                                    X