Shipston on Stour drowning 1849

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library: Shipston on Stour drowning 1849

My GG grandfather John Halford is shown as a "servant" on my great grandfather's birth certificate but I just found a record of a police investigation that a "farmer" named John Halford drowned in the Stour River in 1849 and I'm wondering if this is my ancestor or another with the same name. Have written to the Stratford library for more info, but meanwhile was wondering if anybody can suggest where to find a possible newspaper record of the drowning--have looked in the 19th Century newspapers site and the Times with no luck.

Thanks for any help.
    Bob Morrison
    Malanda, Queensland, Australia

I replied yesterday, but it has disappeared, so I'll try again. Try the 19th Century Newspapers site again, and use the "browse newspapers" option. You need "Berrow's Worcester Journal" and you can read through the ones of about the date you are looking for. I am sure there will be a report in there, but the OCR used on that site mis-reads many words, so searching will not necessarily pick up what you want.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Shipston Halford

Excellent suggestion about fine tuning the newspaper search, but still no luck finding info about that drowning. Might have to have a look at the Stratford library, but meanwhile pursuing the possibility that as a servant (as opposed to the farmer who drowned) John Halford worked in the rectory at Batsford Park.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bob Morrison
      Last edited by Margery Morrison; 07-06-11, 04:43. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
      X