Eric Rolfe married before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Rolfe married before?

Hi after my great grandfather Solomon Smith died in 1946 my great grandmother Isabel Ward remarried an Eric Leonard Rolfe in 1947 (I ordered this certificate today) but I wondered if he was married before?

My dad told me that Solomon and Eric were best friends and Isabel and Eric must have grown close after Solomon's death.

I know nothing about Eric apart from I think he was born in Henley.

Solomon and Isabel lived in Stepney and I think that Isabel and Eric lived in Ilford in Essex

Can anyone help?

Steven

Forgot to mention I know Eric died either the 9th or 19th of July 1968 as I managed to find him and Isabel's grave stone in Barkingside cemetery Essex

Steven

Comment

The marriage certificate will of course tell you if he was a bachelor, widower or divorcee and his age so you can check the indexes for any earlier marriage.

Comment

Thanks Margaret I never thought of that.

I thought he had maybe served in WW1 with my grandfather and maybe met there but when I had the ancestry membership I had a look and couldn't find anything. For years I had been looking for a Basil Rolfe as my dad said he had met him many times on visits to his gran and I then found out that Basil was a nickname!!

Steven

Comment

The death registration shows that he was age 63 when he died, therefore born c1905 (providing of course that whoever gave his age at death gave it accurately!)

Death registration
          Eric L Rolfe
          Jul-Aug-Sep 1968
          Stepney volume 5e, page 128

As you say you think he was born in Henley, then the following birth registration seems a likely match

Eric Leonard Rolfe
          Jan-Feb-Mar 1905
          Henley volume 3a, page 1016

If this is the right one, then too young to have been in WW1.

Doing a free search on the 1911 census, this appears to be the family:

ROLFE HARRY 1873 38
          ROLFE SELINA 1873 38
          ROLFE ALBERT HARRY 1903
          ROLFE DORIS MARJORY 1907
          ROLFE IDA KATE 1898
          ROLFE ERIC LENARD 1906
          - living in Henley, Oxfordshire.
          Elaine

Comment

I checked the BMD index for marriages and can only see the one for Eric to Isabel so I guess he was a batchelor.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi just wanted to say thanks - I received the marriage of Eric Rolfe to Isabel Smith and it was on 27th September 1947 in Ilford. Eric was listed as a motor lorry driver and my dad can recall his father saying Eric used to take him on runs when he was growing up (Eric was friends with my great grandfather Solomon). Eric was also listed as a bachelor so that confirms he wasn't married before.

Another twist in the tale is that my dad told me another story. His dad had 2 sisters Peg and Marjory and there was a rumour that Eric may have been the father of Marjory as they looked very alike and the story goes that they both had problems with their eyesight however as all three children are no longer alive it was never be proven and will just have to pit it down to heresay.

Steven

Comment

Working...
              X