Army Desertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Desertion

Does anyone know if Army deserters were usually caught? If he did desert, it would have been about 1866 or 1867, and he went back to living in his wife's home in Devon (he was from London). Wouldn't the authorities have tracked him there and arrested him?

What would his enlistment terms of service have been, if he entered service in about 1852?

Are there records of deserters, and, if so, where are those records kept?

Thanks
    Sarah

I have a few deserters including my dad he was found and arrested and like the others served time.

Comment

I found this on Google which seems to have quite a few links within it which may help

Certainly makes some interesting read of the bits I did access.

Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

So the tna article seems to indicate that the papers stop in the first half of the 1800s, so I guess that I won't find any documentation if he did desert?

I've been unable to find any trace of him so far in the musters, so it occurred to me that he may simply have left when he was faced with an unacceptable assignment. Two children were born away from England, then number 3 was born in Devon and the cert gives his occupation as Builder. I hoped to find his last muster but no success as yet.

Suggestions?

Comment

There is a list of Deserters on FMP. Dates 1828 to 1840. The data has been provided by Manchester and Lancs FHS. I found one from this list last night that might belong to my OH side, so Dorothy I was interested to read what you have found on TNA. I am now left wondering what might have happened to an army deserter if he deserted in Ireland. I have been unable to trace the person I found through any army docs on FMP, as no documents seem to be available despite the fact he deserted from the 84th Foot Regiment in 1837, so I am wondering where to go next. I suppose I should check out the 84th Regiment.

PS Have now had time to look through the links on the TNA site and it looks as if I could do a search at TNA so once again thank you Dorothy for flagging this up.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 06-06-11, 22:11.

Comment

Good news, he was not a deserter.

Thanks, Ann!

Comment

Working...
            X