Anyone speak Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone speak Latin?

On Ancestry, I have found a Will/Administration from 1684 that mentions one of OH's rellies. I don't want it all translated, but was wondering if anyone can confirm that it seems to be referring to Jane Sidenham, the daughter of John Cribb (or Gribb). If so that would give me Jane's surname and father.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...n%C2%B7%29.396

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Can't get Ancestry to load at the moment but filia is the Latin for daughter if that helps.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I can pick out the odd word here and there but I can't get to grips with the writing.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ooh that does help Nell - the phrase is ......Jane Sidenham filia ?? ?? Johannis Gribb. Then underneath in English I can make out "John Gribb your late father" and at the bottom it's signed by Jane.

Nice, thank you.

Linda
        Linda

Comment

If you need any more, can you post the image here?

Comment

Will have a try - hope this works

Linda
            Linda

Comment

I can get quite a bit of the English, but not much of the Latin (if anyone can read it, I can have a go at translating it). I think the date is November 1684, maybe the 11th or 16th.

This is what I can read of the English part.

Rich. Fitzherbert Reg?

The forme of ye Oath? to be administered unto the Administratrix.

You shall sweare that John Gribb your late father deceased died intestate (that is to say) made noe will soe farr as you doe know or believe, that you will well and truely administer all and singular the goods, chattels and credits of the said deceased so farr? forth as the same? goods, chattles, credits ... be extant? and the law charge you, that you will make or cause to be made a true and perfect Inventory of all and singular the goods, chattles and credits of the said deceased, and the same soe made doe bring in and exhibit or cause to be exhibited into the Registri of the Archdeacons Court of Dorsett at or before ye second day of February next ensuing? the date of these presents, that you will make or cause to be made a full, true and just Accompt of and uppon your administration in the ... when thereunto you shall be lawfully required. Soe help you God in Jesus Christ and by the contents of this booke.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-06-11, 14:31.

Comment

Wonderful, thank you Mary, that seems to confirm that Jane Sidenham was the daughter of John Gribb, who died ca Nov 1684. What I have is that William Sydenham, b 1657 was married to Jane, but I had no other info on her at all.

A new name on the tree!

Linda
                Linda

Comment

It's annoying me that I can't get the two or three words between "filia" and "Johannis" in the Latin part, just in case it says "illegitimate daughter" or something of the sort.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-06-11, 14:35.

Comment

I've found another document relating to this case - I can get the gist of most of the english, but if you want to have a go at the Latin Mary, feel free

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

I can get the first bit, because it's a standard formula. I have to go out in a minute, but I'll have a look at the rest later if nobody else has in the meantime.

Know all men by these presents that we William Sidenham of Swyre in the County of Dorset yeoman and George Waldron ... of Swyre in the County of Dorset ... yeoman

Comment

Working...
                      X