Value from other sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value from other sites?

Hi, I have been contacted by "Genes Reunited" about subscription for only £10 ( an offer they have on until tomorrow) I have heard various thoughts on them on here before but does anyone actually use it and fined it useful.
    On the question of resources, does anyone have comments on the "Origin" sit. I found it the other day and found they have an immediate answer arrangement, which I thought was unique, a bit like this site!!! Any comments?
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Re Genes Reunited, make sure it is clear whether it is £10 for a six month subscription or £10 for the year.

What do you get for your £10. You can make contact with other people who have common names in their trees and you can post on the GR message boards. You don't need to be a member to upload a GEDCOM file to GR, but you do need to be a member if you want to initiate contact with someone else. If someone contacts you first, then you can reply even though you are not a member.

To search GR records, e.g. BMDs and census info, you will need to take out a higher subscription, and personally I feel there are better deals elsewhere.
    Elaine

Comment

Uploading a tree may well be useful for contacting others with the same interest, but as with all such sites beware re that some people will never respond, others will insist you have ancestors in common even when they were born continents apart, or died as infants.
      GR also has a rather dubious system for sending "clues" to possible matches in censuses (presumably in the hope we will sign up to the more expensive membership to access the census through their site) I just received helpful (NOT) hint that I should look for ancestors under their married names and suggesting Jane Everett born 1852 might have married by 1861 "We have found clues to Jane Everett's married name, Coe, in the 1861 census for England and Wales by matching people in your tree to official records"
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

As a long-time GR subscriber, I've built up a huge list of contacts whose trees overlap with mine. Currently the most useful thing to me is the free search of the 1911 census which provides places of birth.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I agree Uncle John - the free search with place of birth on the 1911 census is very useful.
          I prefer to use other sites for searching for other records though.

I have mixed feelings about genes - I have made some very good contacts over the years, However these hints are mostly a waste of time, as are the hot matches.
          But for the price I think it is a good site for making contacts but then being selective with what you then do.
          I prefer to get records to progress with my tree but the contacts are just great for sharing family stories which gives the individuals real character.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I have used the "Origins" site for many years but only for the Scottish records which are free.
            Great for searching if you don't know the exact parish.
            I haven't tried their British or Irish Origins.
            Not too impressed with Genes . I totally agree with herky about the hot matches complete waste of time.
            Jane
            Last edited by Guest; 03-06-11, 15:59.

Comment

Thanks to each of you for your comments. You just reaffirmed things I have heard before buts its good to here them again.
              Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Working...
              X