Which WILLIAM HAUXWELL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which WILLIAM HAUXWELL?

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out with a brick wall my husband hit several years ago and hasn't been able to climb over. He was really the one who started looking into his family tree, but, unlike mine, his is a nice straight affair, unlike my hedge! We had a great time travelling around the country and digging into old records, but he became disheartened and I'd love to see him take it up again, especially now that I'm so "into" doing mine! I don't know how I would feel about sharing computer time however! Anyway, I digress, on with the brick wall. The name he is is researching is HAUXWELL, and he's managed to get as far as the death of his 4xgreatgrandfather, WILLIAM HAUXWELL in 1829, aged 89. (Entry 835 COTTINGHAM register of buriels) His wife ELIZABETH,nee PEARSON died a month later, in 1829, aged 77 (entry 838,same register).From the Holy Trinity,Hull register of marriages
    WILLIAM HAUXWELL and ELIZABETH PEARSON
    14th December 1779
    He found children born to them ,WILLIAM PEARSON HAUXWELL, B.1780 and EDWARD/EDWIN HAUXWELL,B.1781,births registered at FISH STREET INDEPENDENT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
    Working back from the death record and subracting his known age at the time, he has to assume that WILLIAM was born in 1740. We can only find two IGI records for POSSIBLE baptism, one for 1738 and the other for 1742.
    Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as my husband would love to get back a bit further than he has done.
    Last edited by gwynneth; 02-06-11, 22:20.

Only a few entries are on IGI - though they have been adding some areas registers.

Is it Cottingham in Cambridgeshire or Yorkshire ?

Have you tried using a google search with the name and place?

Do you have ancestry?
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 01-06-11, 20:50.

Comment

Cottingham, Yorkshire, -it's near Hull.
      We've seen the marriage record, but I don't think it mentioned the name of the groom's father, which would have been a great help.
      And we can't assume that William came from Hull just because he was married there. It's all a bit frustrating!

Comment

There are nine children baptised to this couple at Fish Street, via Hugh Wallis.

OC

Comment

Can you explain Hugh Wallis, OC please? I don't think we've met!

Comment

Hugh Wallis was a very obliging chap who painstakingly listed every church/chapel recorded on the IGI by batch number.

So, if you go to his site you select

COUNTY (Yorkshire)
            K - Kingston upon Hull
            Fish St Chapel records

In the search box enter Hauxwell, which will bring up variant spellings too and you should see nine baptism records.

(Back in a minute with the link to the site!)http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....htm#PageTitle

OC

Comment

It would be great to get the names and birthdates of the other eight (husband's 3xgreatgrandfather was WILIAM PEARSON HAUXWELL). I may be able then to find information from others rearching their own lines.

Comment

Have found it OT-a great link, so thank you. Sadly, there are only two children belonging to William and Elizabeth. It's a bit confusing because William Pearson Hauxwell also married an Elizabeth. These children are actually a mixture of parents and children, if you see what I mean. It's nice to think that the next generation continued at the same church though! I will use the link to check other churches in Hull and the surrounding area and see if I can find William, born 1740.

Comment

Oh, sorry about that, I didn't read your initial post closely enough!

But - have you seen the original register for Fish Street? There is often additional information on these noncon registers.

Do you know what occupation William senior had? For him to be free to worship at a noncon church suggests he was not an employee (although he may have been the employee of a strong nonconformist boss, lol!).

I take it you have also checked for monumental inscriptions.

OC

Comment

Do you know OC, its SUCH along time since I used that site, Id virtually forgotten about it.

Comment

Right...I have been looking at the history of congregationalism in Hull in the mid 18th century, and apparently FISH STREET INDEPENDENT CHURCH was started by a break away group from the BLANKET ROW CHAPEL. Fish Street wasn't built until 1782, so how come WILLIAM PEARSON HAUXWELL and his brother EDWARD/EDMUND were baptised there before the chapel was built?

Comment

Thass easy, I have this in my tree too!

You don't know that they WERE actually physically baptised at Fish Street chapel, all you know is that their baptisms were recorded in the chapel register.

I have exactly the same thing, break away chapel, but the breakaway chapel took the register of the original chapel with it when it decamped. I expect that's what has happened with yours.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that OC-it makes sense. We have a record from the register of buriels at Cottingham stating that William Hauxwell sen.died on 30/1/1829 at the age of 80, which would put his dob at 1740. We have found several Williams from 1731 to 1743 listed in the IGI, which I realise is not an exhaustive list. How far away from an estimated date of birth would you go?

Comment

Oh, gosh, that's difficult. his age at death could be wildly out, all depended on who said he was 80!

I've seen all sorts, including one man who was solemnly recorded as dying aged 142 - the Vicar had written "a great aydge" next to this!

You may have to do some mini trees to eliminate the other Williams you have found.

OC

Comment

Any suggestions as to how to do that would be most appreciated!

Comment

I have been doing some digging through IGIs and have managed to eliminate some possiblities. Now I have a new question......there's a William Hauxwell christened in Aldborough near York on 27/5/1737-can find siblings but no records before them of any Hauxwells in Aldborough. I have also found a William Hauxwell married to a Sarah Trufitt in December 1764, who was born on the same date (27/5/1737. ) The only problem is, the birth and the marriage are both down as being in Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire. I am leaning towards thinking that this could in fact be the same person. I'm also thinking that if this is our William, then his marriage to Sarah Trufitt could have been a first marriage and she may have died. I can find no record of children born to a William and Sarah during the right time frame, but there appear to be only two born to William and Elizabeth, one of whom is my husband's ancestors. I've found a christening record in the IGI for an Elizabeth Pearson, at Holy Trinity Hull, for 1747, which would put her at thirty when she married, and so that may be the reason for the small family. Does anyone have any thoughts on my theories? Any help would be much appreciated....

Comment

Marriage records don't normally show a date of birth, so I'm not sure how anyone knew that William Hauxwell born 27th May 1737 is the same one who married Sarah Trufitt?

OC

Comment

Checking what you have in post 16#, I'm afraid that what you have found is a submitted record from an unnamed source, so it's not accurate. No venue is given for the marriage and batch numbers beginning with "I" are not taken from church records.

The only PRIMARY source is a marriage dated 3 December 1764 at Fylingdales York, William Hawxwell to Sarah TRUEFOOT. No ages are given, so really this could be any William Hauxwell! Sorry!

OC

Comment

Hi OC!
                                      Which one begins with "I" please? I have the one in Aldborough as Batch C007403 Source call no. 0990892 Printout call no.6909593
                                      The one from Robin Hood's Bay just reads "unknown sorce".

Comment

C batches are christening records, not marriage records.

You said you had found William Hauxwell married to Sarah Trufitt in December 1764 and that he was born in 1737. That record is on the IGI taken from a batch number beginning with "I" and merely states York as the place of marriage. There is nothing to link the two extracted records (birth and marriage) to the same William Hauxwell, although it could be him of course, but equally might not be!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X