PDA

View Full Version : French / Maltese census

Malc
31-05-11, 09:15
Hi everyone

Not quite what you might have thought

Louisa May French (born 1893 Hackney) married Francisco Maltese (born 1893 Hackney)

The marriage was in 1919 in Bethnal Green

What I would like please is to trace Francisco and his family back through the census as far as possible.

I don’t have ancestry or fmp

Thanks. I'm working so will look in as often as I can.

Oakum Picker
31-05-11, 10:27
I couldn't find him in 1901 but his service record is on Ancestry which shows his father is Antonio who dies in 1928. Probate is granted to Louisa May (wife of Frank) & Philip. There is a will for a Raffaele Filipo (might not have remembered the correct spelling) aka Philip Raphael.

In 1891 Antonio aged 30 born Italy, an ice cream seller is living in Shoreditch with wife Jane & sons Philip & Joseph all born Clerkenwell. Joseph dies in 1896 & there appears to be a son John 1892-3. Francisco was the only birth reg. I could find nor could I find the marriage.

No sign of Antonio in 1881 so assume he arrived in the country some time between 1881 & 1884/5.

Heather Positive Thinker
31-05-11, 10:29
In WW1 he is called Frank?

He is 5 ft 3" tall, is a fruiterer, has a scar on his shoulder and his father is Italian (at same address) He is in the Rifle Brigade. In 1919 he got a 20% increase in his pension (temporary) due to pleurisy and a hernia

Name: Frank Maltese
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Age at enlistment: 22
Residence: 221 Victoria Park Rd, Sth Hackney
Document Year: 1916
Regiment Name: Batt London??
Number of images: 19

Malc
31-05-11, 11:49
Thank you Glen and Heather

Louisa May was my mother in laws cousin (a big age difference) Going through mil photos last weekend after she died earlier this year I found a photo that said Mrs Maltese - Hackney.
Just thought I would see if I could find out a bit more. The London side of my wife's family is quite interesting. Just that she is not interested so I just have a little look now and then.

I'll add this info to the rest.

I'll get a tree put on here soon

Thanks again