Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residency requirements for baptism and marriage

Hi,
    I've read a few write-ups and articles about the requirements for marrying in a particular church/parish, and I think I've seen some comments that being baptized in a parish may confer some benefits.

But I'm having problems finding a reference on the subject? Any suggestions?

Thanks

You do not state what period of history you are referring to or whether the marriage was by banns, licence or certificate.

After the Marriage Act of 1754 a couple had to be resident in the parish for one week prior to the first reading of the banns.

Prior to 1754 there were no residence restrictions.
    Cheers
    Guy

PS see my Acts of Parliament web pages
    Last edited by Guy; 31-05-11, 06:31. Reason: added PS
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I'm interested in the 1800s. I have an ancestor whose children were baptized:
      1833 - St Leonard Shoreditch
      1844 - St Dunstan, Stepney - four of them at once
      1851 - St Dunstan, Stepney
      1853 - St Dunstan, Stepney - two of them

and then they marry in, ahem, 1856 (he a widower, she a "spinster")
      1856 - St Matthew, Bethnal Green

I don't think they were living in the parish, but they married by banns.

1851 census, they are living Edward St, MEOT
      1861 census, they are living Providence Row, Bow Old Ford

Additionally, I have another ancestor whose 3rd child is born in Crediton. Subsequent children born in the area are baptized C/E, but I've been unable to find child #3's baptism. Could they have taken her to the grandparent's church for baptism?

There was a recent thread (which I've been unable to find again) that was discussing rights/benefits to being baptized. I'd be interested in knowing more about that.

Thanks Guy for the reference to the Acts of Parliament page.
      Sarah

Comment

Being baptised in a parish meant you were 'registered' there as being the responsibility of that parish if you needed Poor Relief funds. Here's a link to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish. Basically in the period you are talking about the parish was the unit of government with the church being in charge of everything. They ran the local courts etc and for instance if a child was illegitimate the church would sort out who the father might be and get him to pay for the upkeep of the child otherwise it would fall to the parish to support the woman and child.
        Margaret

Comment

Here's another useful link about the Settlement Act which I think is probably what you were looking for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_Act_1662

Comment

Margaret -
            Thank you for the links. The Settlement Act link is especially interesting - not just for genealogy, but the information about how the law affected hiring, firing and migration. Modern economy and job fluxes make it seem as though we failed to learn lessons from history - again.

Since the Mitchell marriage outlined above was by banns, weren't they required to have some sort of connection to St Matthews? Would they have sought a different parish because of their longstanding relationship?

Comment

A parish church could not refuse to marry anyone who lived in the parish (for the minimum time required) but they may have set up a false address for the purpose of marrying in a parish where they weren't known by nosey neighbours!

OC

Comment

Working...
              X