Please can anyone help me find Elizabeth Sturgess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone help me find Elizabeth Sturgess

I'm trying to confirm if I have found the right Elizabeth Sturgess, Mother of Samuel.

Samuel Sturgess was born 2nd Feb 1871 at The Pottery Belper, Derbyshire, his Mother was Elizabeth Sturgess, a domestic Servant, with no Father named. (Info from birth certificate)

Samuel is living as a lodger age 3 months on the 1871 census, with a lady called Sarah Annable. (along with her father and siblings) Sarah goes on to adopt him with her husband Robert Wilton. Samuel is living with them on the 1881 and 1891 census in Belper.

I can find no link between the Sturgess family and the Annable/Wilton families.
    A kind lady looked in the court petty sessions at Matlock Record Office, but didn't find a mention of Elizabeth, or who Samuel's father was.

So I started looking for a Elizabeth Sturgess approx 15- 25 years old, and I found Elizabeth Sturgess born 1849 Foxton Leics, daughter of Leonard & Elizabeth Sturgess, with a brother Samuel. She is working as a servant in 1871, in Stone, Staffs which isn't too far from Belper.

There are no Elizabeth Sturgess' living in Belper on the 1871 census, (I couldn't find many at all to be honest) and the one I found has a strong family names, as Samuel called his son Leonard, but would like some proof. But how do I prove it is the right one when they don't appear on any records together.

Samuel's marriage certificate doesn't show a father either, so not sure if I will solve that mystery. :(

But would love to find the correct Elizabeth so at least I can trace one of Samuel's parents.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received, as I'm not getting any where

Bev

i guess if you found a baptism it may have some information in it. other than that, you have circumstantial evidence, which is enough for me, as i have a similar situation with my ancestry. i doubt you will ever find anything unless maybe he was mentioned in a will?

Comment

Thanks Kyle, we have found Samuel's baptism 4th June 1871 in Belper, but no new information unfortunately. Not sure about a will, will have to look into that idea

Comment

Working...
      X