Dating Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating Photographs

Can anyone give me any rough date as to when this picture may of been taken???
    Attached Files

And what is the lady on the left wearing?????? and is that a Boy or Girl in the Middle???

Comment

This thread would probably have attracted more attention on the 'Family trees photos' thread Richard. There are a few people on there who are good at dating photos. There is a costume section in the reference loibrary that may help you (see blue bar above), or you could ask a moderator on 'Site news and support' to move the thread for you.

I think that possibly the person in the middle could possibly be a disabled lady?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you Chrissy... have you any idea how i move this to "Family tree photos" thread?

Regards Richard

Comment

I have moved it for you Richard,

if you could post a bigger picture onsite it would help considerably, it is better if you use an external hosting site such as Photobucket to display your pictures, as this doesnt put too much strain on our site server. If you are a little unsure how to use Photobucket, we have a Tutorial on how (if you click on the link below)

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'd guess at somewhere around 1870-80. Queen Victoria wore similar headwear to the mother figure.

The person in the middle I think is definitely female. Either very short or perhaps her spine is malformed due to some illness - Her shoulders seem a bit hunched? She's probably the daughter of the couple?
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

this might be a little better, though the quality isnt brilliant.

Julie

Comment

Hi, I would have said about the 1870s, and think the lady in the middle is the daughter of the couple and probably has some sort of disability.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Hi! I am not too sure how to place a large version of the photo on this site... I would be happy to e-mail a jpeg version to anyone who would be willing to add a large version to this site... many Thanks all for your comments... It all helps.. Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by richardjohnalecock View Post
                    Hi! I am not too sure how to place a large version of the photo on this site... I would be happy to e-mail a jpeg version to anyone who would be willing to add a large version to this site... many Thanks all for your comments... It all helps.. Thank You
                    Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    if you could post a bigger picture onsite it would help considerably, it is better if you use an external hosting site such as Photobucket to display your pictures, as this doesnt put too much strain on our site server. If you are a little unsure how to use Photobucket, we have a Tutorial on how (if you click on the link below)

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...se-Photobucket
                    it is really easy when you get the hang of it :smilee:
                    Julie

Comment

Thank You Julie...

Comment

well done Richard!! :smilee: that is a crackin' picture. I'd say the same as the others, 1870 ish, the lady in the middle looks like she has a disablility, am trying to think of what it looks like, but the words wont come.. (I dislike this flippin brain fog!!! loads!!)
                        Julie

Comment

Julie (Other) does you experience indicate any clues in the picture to help me more!... Clothing?, What is that on the old persons head?, the young girl has her foot on something?... Did people send off for photos in the 1870's... I think that a ring is on her finger which could suggest that they are a married couple and this is prehaps a daughter on even grand-daughter!
                          x

Comment

Hi Richard,

the lady has some sort of hat on her head, I think! I do also think that they are a family unit, mother/father and daughter. It might be a coming of age picture for the daughter, she is wearing her hair in a long plait, and girls I think did wear their hair down until they reached a certain age (dont know the age though!) and then they began to wear it 'up'. She has her foot resting on a small footstool which was probably a prop in the studio where they had their photograph taken. (People tended to goto studios to have portraits taken of special occasions.)
                            I know its very vague, but I dont really have that much of an idea its purely observational info that I have picked up over the years.
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X