Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Emmigration? Help

Hi sorry to post another query on my Hillicks tree but stumped on this one

I have a John Hillicks (sometimes mis transcribed as Hillocks) on the 1881 census aged 7 in Govan Lanarkshire with his parents William and Jane. On the 1891 census he is listed as aged 17 occupation apprentice iron moulder and then the trail falls dead.

I can't find a birth or death for him and I accnot find him anywhere in 1901 or 1911. I know his mothers immediate family came from Ireland and his fathers family a generation back also came from Ireland.

I am curious to know why there is no birth and death might mean he has moved to England, Ireland or even abroad

Can anyone help?

Steven

You say you cannot find a birth - do you know when the parents married. Is there any chance he could have been illegitimate?
    Elaine

Comment

Ha Elaine you are right the parents married in Partick, Glasgow on 14th July 1876. His mothers name was Jane Hillicks maiden name Stevenson

Steven

Comment

I wonder if he reverted to his birth name of Stevenson?
        Elaine

Comment

Found this one on the IGI
          JOHN STEVENSON
          Birth: 15 SEP 1873 Govan, Lanark, Scotland
          Mother: JANE STEVENSON
          - no father given.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine I looked it up on SP as well looks like its him - thanks for looking with a fresh pair of eyes for me

Now to look for a marriage and death

Steven

Comment

Does he have a second name on the birth registration?
              What is the place of birth?
              Elaine

Comment

No second name Elaine and place of birth is Partick in Glasgow

Steven

Comment

Hi Elaine has a break on the 1901 census - I looked it up on SP and found him on the same census as his father - I never knew he was called John Stevenson until today and when I did the search he came up on the same one!!!!!!!!

He is married to a Jessie and with two children - Jane 3 and John 2

Away to look for a marriage

Steven

Comment

I had checked William and Jane in 1901 and he wasn't with them! (Ancestry) :(
                    Elaine

Comment

It was on the second page Elaine - What gave it away is that my great grandfather James Hillicks was on that page with a lodger Isabella McMillan and directly underneath them is John and his family all living at 13 Anderson Street, Govan

Steven

PS no sign on the 1911 but will keep looking

Comment

Glad you found them. They don't seem to appear on the Ancestry transcriptions!
                        Elaine

Comment

Do you have the image for the 1901 census. I have now found the transcription on Ancestry and it gives John's year of birth as 1864 and Jessie's year of birth as 1867.
                          Can you confirm that is what is written on the census, or is it a bad transcription on Ancestry's part. We were originally working on the idea that John's birth was 1873!
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine after my last boob with potential copyright I have emailed them to you

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Ok.
                              Elaine

Comment

I think the ages on the 1901 census are definitely 27 and 24, not 37 and 34 as on the Ancestry subscription.
                                So that gets us back to a birth for John of c1874 which is what we were working on!
                                Elaine

Comment

Elaine birth looks like 15th September 1873 in Partick - mother Jane Stevenson and no father named

Will send you the image

Steven

Comment

So there was no father on the birth registration, yet on his marriage certificate he says his father is John Stevenson (occ Steamship foreman) - deceased and mother Jane Hillicks, formerly Stevenson, maiden name Reynolds.
                                    So are we to presume that mother Jane Reynolds) had been married at some time to John Stevenson but that John snr. died before 1874. The problem is with Jane coming from Ireland it's impossible to know if this marriage occurred in Ireland or Scotland ... or whether it occurred at all! :D
                                    Elaine

Comment

On Jane's death certificate it says her parents are James Stevenson & Margaret Ronald - how confusing is that?

I wonder if Ronald is the same as Reynold but just an error in the transcription

Steven

Comment

Thanks for copy of John's birth certificate - I see it clearly states illegitimate!
                                        Re the Reynold/Ronald name - I think you need to think how both sound if they are said with an Irish accent ... very similar I would imagine!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X