Incorrect spelling of names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect spelling of names

If a surname was Grieve, and some marriage and census information was spelt Greeves, Grives, Greives, does one correct the spelling or type them into your tree the way they have been (incorrectly) spelt?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

http://www.one-name.org/onsvarnt.html The Guild of One Name Studies and their observations on the term variants

http://www.one-name.org/cgi-bin/searchrequest.cgi The name Grieve and variants in the Guild

Edna

Comment

Thanks for that Edna, a very handy site. My question was tho, do you enter the name into your tree as it should be spelt, if the census shows a variant.

Comment

Jood, I have given up trying to work out what to do with mine....I now just use the name on their birth cert and make mention of the variants in the notes. If I find newspaper reports, etc where it is spelt differently, I quote those in my notes as they are written.
        My cousin handles it differently...she is descended from one of the worst lines for this happening, and she her family used one of the variants, so she has used that for all her ancestors.

Comment

I usually enter the name with the spelling i know, but add the variants under AKA.
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
          Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
          Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Thanks to Lyn & Sylvia - I think I'll do what you both do. Seems the way to go.

How's things over you way Lyn?

Comment

Not too bad, thanks Jood. Getting affy cool, though! How are you? I gather you have settled into the new home, now. Did you get your garden done?
              Don't come on here much...have a new puter & hate it, so tend to leave it turned off. Lol!
              Take care xxxx

Comment

Pretty darn cold here Lyn, but I'm lucky I have gas heating in the ceiling, and that tends to keep the whole place warm.

Garden - well, have got a few shrubs in, laid down some weed mat, have to buy some bark chips soon. Nothing is growing much during the cold weather, but I hope they all spurt growth when it gets warmer.

I have settled in rather too well! Am out all the time lol.

What's wrong with the new puter - is it Windows 7 you don't like? I'm still coming to grips with it and Office 2010 which has changed so much. if I lived closer, would try and help you.

Comment

Yes, Jood...Windows 7!! It drives me nuts! The kids bought it for me for Xmas, so I don't dare moan about it too much! So I just keep away from it! Lol!

Comment

I'm still trying to find my way round Windows Live Mail - that's all changed too. I guess the more you use it - the eaiser it becomes, - at least you can still do your family history!

Comment

Then I am in trouble...I hate it so much that I hardly ever go there!! Lol! Wish I had OE back!

My FH is at a standstill....Brickwalls everywhere! And I couldn't afford to renew my ancesty so I can't even help others at the mo. Lol! I have a heap of notes that I should be entering on the computer, but I hate that part of FH & had that heap long before I had the new computer! It has been so long since I did any of it, I haven't a clue where I was at. And when the lad moved in, I lost my office and my neat piles of "ready to file", "checked & ready to enter", etc, all became one big pile, so I really need ancestry to check it all again.
                      Oh, well there is another day tomorrow & meantime maybe the fairies will make an overnight visit! ROTFLMHO!
                      Last edited by Lyn A; 29-05-11, 06:04.

Comment

I use Thunderbird for my email client , works like my favourite which was outlook express. It works the same regardless of which version of windows you are using.
                        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                          If a surname was Grieve, and some marriage and census information was spelt Greeves, Grives, Greives, does one correct the spelling or type them into your tree the way they have been (incorrectly) spelt?
                          As you've probably realised by now... before the era of mechanised / computerised systems, spelling tended to be a bit arbitrary: people spelled their names however they wanted to - or (if they were illiterate) however the Registrar / Clergyman / whoever imagined it was spelt... or thought it ought to be spelt. "Correct" is a rather definite term to be using in such circumstances! My footer gives an indication of the variants I have in my tree and my husband's.

You just need to evolve a system that works for you and stick to it (if you can!). I tend to use the spelling of the earliest record I can find for a person, so I may update their surname as time passes, but keeping a note of how their name appears in different records so that I can stand a chance of recovering data if I have to.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My family name is Eves what I find is that it is deliberately mispelt in the IGI and the Eves/Eaves internet site.
                            I have been tracing the Eves family for more than twenty years and have never found a link between the two Eves or Eaves families so why has my family name been changed from Eves to Eaves in so many online records, when in the original records these are two different families.
                            I personally couldn't careless, but it is very misleading for those who are just starting to research their family history particularly those who are inexperienced and take these corrupted records as being factual when they are in fact pure fiction.
                            Due to these corrupted records many family histories belonging to researches who cannot travel to records offices to verify internet records against the original records end up with a fictional instead of a factual family history.

Comment

With some of my lines, I have been fortunate in obtaining transcripts of parish records going back into the 1600s & 1700s. With this amount of transcripts it is easy to see how many different spellings and variants of names crop up.
                              I have Summerfield from the Wolverhampton area, who in early records appear as Somerfield, Summerford and Somerford, but they are definitely the same family - 1 generation would have one variant, and the next another. I tend to enter the name that appears most frequently. If the baptism and marriage entry match, I'll keep it, otherwise, I'll usually choose the latter.
                              I have Clarks who drop and gain an 'e' at the end at the drop of a hat, even into the 20th century.

One name that I have found to have become set very early however is my own family name of Morrall. This occurs in numerous variations - Morel, Morrel, Morral, Morrell, etc - but I found a death certificate where the widower had returned to the registrar to get the spelling of his wife surname corrected 6 months after her death. This was in the 1850s. It must have been important even then that the name was spelt right. I'm sure most wouldn't bother.
                              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Fronteria

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean - who has deliberately changed the spelling of the name on the IGI and why on earth would they do that?

Also, at the risk of sounding pompous, anyone who relies entirely on internet records for their research deserves to have a rubbish tree!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Fronteria

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean - who has deliberately changed the spelling of the name on the IGI and why on earth would they do that?

Also, at the risk of sounding pompous, anyone who relies entirely on internet records for their research deserves to have a rubbish tree!

OC
                                  Just one example, IGI entry for my grandfather six times removed:
                                  John Eaves International Genealogical Index
                                  Gender: Male Christening: 16 JAN 1736 White Colne, Essex, England
                                  His parents are named as John and Elizabeth.
                                  The original record entry in the White Colne records is: John the son of John Eves and Sarah his wife was baptised 16th Jan. 1736.
                                  The date and location is correct, the parents are wrong they are John Eves and Sarah (Davy) his wife, the name spelling is Eves not Eaves
                                  Not everyone can get to the ERO especially when they live in Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand so quite a few people have to use the IGI internet records if they want to get back further than the 1830's.
                                  The online baptism records for White Colne available from the ERO are very limited, the latest date is for the year 1708 if I remember correctly.
                                  You ask: Why on earth would they do it! Sorry I can't tell you; your guess is as good as mine.
                                  I don't think anyone deserves to have a rubbish tree even if they have to use records from the internet.
                                  My view is if you can't share good quality information don't share anything.
                                  Last edited by fronteria; 03-06-11, 01:22.

Comment

Frontera

It's many years since I have been to a County Records Office but I still manage to see original parish records, simply by renting the film to view at my nearest LDS centre. I understand the geographical limits of research but I'm afraid the good fairy of genealogy does not excuse this and allow your tree to be accurate just because you cannot easily access primary records.

We also need to remember that the LDS records are not there for the benefit of family history researchers, they are there for a religious purpose and that religious purpose does not rely on absolute accuracy. If you read the blurb on the home page, it does tell you to independently verify any information on the site as all transcriptions are provided by volunteers.

OC

EDIT - In fact, the record you quote above is not an original, it is a "computer print out" and oh, how I hate those! the computer print out has been prepared from an original record but of course that gives room for error, plus further room for error when transcribing from print out to database. I don't think anyone has deliberately altered the spelling of the name, it's just a spelling mistake or a typing error.
                                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 03-06-11, 08:12.

Comment

Did John EAVES (EVES) marry a second wife?

There is in the same batch C04346-1 for example –
                                      James EAVES baptised 19 May 1734, White Colne, Essex
                                      With parents John EAVES and Sarah.

The film the record originates from is 857065 which is a filming of Baptisms, marriages, burials, banns, 1709-1812 from Microfilm of original records at the Essex Record Office, Chelmsford.

There is however another filming of Parish Registers (not Bishop’s Transcripts) so it is possible that there are two versions of the parish registers; I have known the occasional parish to have three copies.
                                      When this happens it is not unknown for the parish Registers to contain different information from each other and from the Bishop’s Transcripts.

It could be that someone thought they were being helpful by applying a standard spelling to a transcription.
                                      It could be simply mistakes were made in the transcription (as often happens).

It does not necessarily mean it was changed deliberately.

As for distance making viewing the original register impossible!
                                      One can rent a film at a local FHC or even better buy a copy on microfiche/film from the record office.
                                      See-
                                      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....d/acts/csf.htm ;)

Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi. Guy
                                        John was not married twice his wife out lived him by about 12 years.
                                        John Eves was buried 19th 1741 White Colne
                                        His wife Sarah was buried 17th Oct 1753 in Lamarsh
                                        James Eves b 1734 White Colne their son married Elizabeth Sharp 04th Aug 1756 at Great Tey Essex another name change.
                                        What about this lot!
                                        All Eves not Eaves
                                        Enoch Eaves -m- Mary Alphamstone, (Mary Chandler m. Enoch Eves 28th May 1835 Lamarsh)
                                        Enoch 1839
                                        Enoch b 1839 -m- Mary Unkown
                                        Joseph 1866
                                        Olive 1868
                                        Haverson 1870 (not a Eves family member have not got a clue where they got this one from)
                                        Walter 1873 (real rouge married bigamously 3 times left a trail of dept and children as he did a runner every time he went bankrupt, what a rat)
                                        Henry 1876 all in White Colne

John Eaves and Elizabeth
                                        John 16 Jan 1736-m- Ruth Hart 11 Nov 1764 White Colne
                                        John 27 Jan 1765 **********
                                        Susannah 15 Mar 1767
                                        Alice 12 Jan 1768 d child
                                        Mary 18 Nov 1770 "
                                        Joseph 15 Nov 1772 "
                                        Joseph 8 Oct 1775 ***********
                                        Elizabeth 11 May 1777 all White Colne
                                        Mary 25 Oct 1778
                                        Sarah 17 Sep 1780 d child
                                        Judith 27 Jan 1782
                                        Sarah 2 Nov 1783
                                        Thomas 2 Oct 1785
                                        John Eaves b 27 Jan 1765 -m- Martha Unknown (Martha Death these are my gggg grand parents)
                                        Thomas 22 May 1791
                                        Joseph 22 Apr 1792 (my ggg grand father)
                                        Alice 5 May 1793
                                        Joseph 6 Jul 1794
                                        Judith 27 May 1798 all White Colne
                                        Martha 27 May 1798
                                        William 6 Oct 1799
                                        Eliza 3 Oct 18 1802

My comments in brackets.
                                        If you pm me I will add a couple of land documents from the 1790's to one of my photograph sites and send you a link.

Comment

Working...
                                        X