Marriage quiery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage quiery

I wonder if you give me any pointers with tracing the marriage of my great grandparents Charles Burrows & Julia Gully. My Grandmother was Mary Ann Burrows born in 1984 in Hook Norton. I received my grandmother's birth certificate and it confirmed both parents. I went through all the records to trace when they married without success. On the birth certificate it does show that Julia had the same surname as Charles Burrows (maiden name Gully) so I believe they were married? Is there any where else I can check for a marriage? On the birth certificate it shows the birth was registered in Banbury and the sub district was Bloxham in Oxford. Are there any church records that I can check? A gentleman kindly had a look quite a while ago and he thought that he had found a Charles Burrows born in 1971 who might the right Charles who married Julia

Does anyone know where I can go further to trace the marriage?

Many thanks

Your grandmother is 27?????

Comment

Okay, I found your Grandmother's birth in 1884, but I cannot find a marriage for them, either. They may never have married. My gran didn't, even though her children's birth certs made it appear that ahe had. I spent years looking for a marriage and then when I expanded my search to include her 2nd marriage afer my grandpa died, I found that her cert showed that she was married in her maiden name and was a spinster.

What I think you need to do, is to find the family on the 1901 census and then trace both Julia & Charles back from there.

Comment

First of all welcome to Family Tree Forum.
        Can you give more details from the birth certificate of Mary Ann Burrows - the address at the time and father's occupation.
        Have you found her in the 1891/1901/1911 census - if so do you have the references for these?
        Elaine

Comment

Hi and welcome - as Elaine has said, have you found them in the census records? Im afraid using the surname of the father doesnt mean they were married - no checks would have been made.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
            Okay, I found your Grandmother's birth in 1884, but I cannot find a marriage for them, either. They may never have married. My gran didn't, even though her children's birth certs made it appear that ahe had. I spent years looking for a marriage and then when I expanded my search to include her 2nd marriage afer my grandpa died, I found that her cert showed that she was married in her maiden name and was a spinster.

What I think you need to do, is to find the family on the 1901 census and then trace both Julia & Charles back from there.

I had the same with my grandparents, Granny married twice but while "inbetween husbands" she had three children with my grandfather, their birth certs suggest that a marriage had taken place but that isn't the case. I eventually cracked the mystery by obtaining birth & marriage certs from local registrars (scans of the original registers covering all three relationships) and comparing her signature on them. The registrar at the time had to record the details they were given, there were no checks made to verify the information.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I too looked for a marriage unsuccesfully.Sometime later I found it, thirty years after the first child was born.
              F

Comment

Also, it's unlikely that your Charles Burrows married aged 13 - males could marry aged 14 but this would be extremely, vanishingly rare by 1884.

OC

Comment

Oxford FHS have CDs of parish register transcriptions: see http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

You get several parishes on a CD, costing £17.50
                  e.g. OXF-BAN02 BANBURY Reg. Dist.
                  Adderbury; Balscote; Bloxham; Bodicote; Cropredy; Great Bourton; Mollington; Wroxton.

OXF-BAN03 BANBURY Reg. Dist.
                  Alkerton; Broughton; Claydon; Drayton; Hanwell; Hook Norton; Hook Norton Baptist; Horley; Hornton; Shennington; Shutford; Sibford; Swalcliffe; Wardington.

I keep looking at the second of those, because I have ancestral traces in Swalcliffe. I bought the one with South Newington and Wigginton, and that proved very fruitful for me. On the basis of teh info I got from them, I was able to make good use of a visit to the Oxford Record Office.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

might be a red herring : charles george burroughs and julia faulkes 1876 bethnal green.

Comment

in 1891 there is a charles burroughs 42, b.1849 bethnal green living at 209 downham rd, islington. he is a pianoforte finisher. his wife is julia b.1848 age 43, b.gloucestershire. there is a stephen potts nephew, scholar with them born 1878 middlesex.

Comment

i can only seem to find one julia with husband charles in 1881: chs burrough 32 b.1849, london middlesex. piano forte finisher.
                        living at 39 fellowes st, shoreditch. julia burrough 34, b.1847, stroud, gloucester. boot button holer.

Comment

that birth for you grandmother is the only burrows birth between 1859 and 1946 in that registration district. they certainly weren't living in oxfordshire in 1891. im beginning to think they never married, as the only charles and julia burrows plus variants are the couple in london, and they dont appear to have had children.

Comment

I'd agree with kylejustin, on the basis of what I've been able to find so far.

I can't find the family anywhere in the censuses. One begins to wonder just which of these names was real!

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Marriage query

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
                              Your grandmother is 27?????
                              Hi Lyn

Firstly the date was 1884 that Mary Ann was born sorry to have mislaid you. I have traced
                              Julia in 1888 it appears she married John William Morby in Bristol, but she used her maiden name and was down as a spinster. I will trace back as you said.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Lancalot View Post
                                Hi Lyn

Firstly the date was 1884 that Mary Ann was born sorry to have mislaid you. I have traced
                                Julia in 1888 it appears she married John William Morby in Bristol, but she used her maiden name and was down as a spinster. I will trace back as you said.

Thanks again
                                That would make it even more likely that the first marriage never existed.

Christine

Comment

Marriage query

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  First of all welcome to Family Tree Forum.
                                  Can you give more details from the birth certificate of Mary Ann Burrows - the address at the time and father's occupation.
                                  Have you found her in the 1891/1901/1911 census - if so do you have the references for these?
                                  I Elaine

Mary Ann's address when born was down as Hook Norton birth was registered on the fifteenth November 1884 and fathers occupation Engine Driver.

Julia married a John Morby in Bristol in 1888. I can trace the family on the 1891 census as living in Barry South Wales, but Mary Ann and her brother John Henry's surname was Morby, so they took their stepfathers name.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                                    Hi and welcome - as Elaine has said, have you found them in the census records? Im afraid using the surname of the father doesnt mean they were married - no checks would have been made.
                                    Hi Heather

It seems that they may not have married, but I would love to know who he was and where he was from its a big puzzle.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi

Thanks for everyone for taking the time to look into this matter for me. I did find a Charles Henry burrows once marriage 1884 district farnham 2a page 186, but could not confirm that this is the right Charles Burrows. I now know that Julia did go on to marry John W Morby in Bristol in 1888 which was after the birth of Mary Ann and her brother Henry John who was born in Castle Street, Portchester in the district of Fareham in 1887. I have traced the family to Barry South Wales in 1891 census.

I did also have a look at a Charles Burrows in the 1881 census who was a soldier based in Farnham, he was born in Exworth Suffolk in 1861 I wondered if this was the right Charles and also found a death of a Charles Burrows in Farnham in 1886, but his wife's name was down as E A Burrows. I might never know.

Thanks again everyone

Comment

Mary Ann and her brother Henry John who was born in Castle Street, Portchester in the district of Fareham in 1887
                                        Part of my mother's family lived in Castle Street, Portchester. I thought I had some Baptism Register images, but it turns out I have only 1919 and 1921. I certainly have census imageses for a stretch of Castle Street for a number of censuses.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X