Not havinh luck with Ancestry 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not havinh luck with Ancestry 1911

I can get the books ok but cant get the forms with the households on,there seems to be hundreds come up to look through,not impressed yet.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

I think it was said that they haven't indexed the households yet - just supplied the images for browsing.

Cabn you get enough info from other searches (the 1911 census site, or FMP or GR) to be able to narrow your trawling efforts?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes I had FMP but my sub has run out, so I am feeling like my arm has been cut off now,will have to save up again,its so quick on there.I dont need anything in particular just yet but its so useful.
      regards Patti

Comment

What you have to do is first find the head of the household in the summary book. If you are looking for someone who doesn't have the same surname as the head of the household you're stuck!
        The route map at the top of the page will tell you the enumeration district details and the entry in the summary book will give you the schedule number.
        Then in the images, enter all this information, which should take you to page 1 of the correct enumeration district. Then multiply the schedule number by 2 to give the approximate image page number. This should get you to the correct household schedule or something very close. The schedule number is written in the top right hand corner of the page, so you'll know if you need to go forwards or backwards through the images.
        Hopefully it won't be too long before Ancestry start indexing the household schedules and also improve the indexing of the enumerators' summary books.
        I've got several daughters of families who had moved away and were staying in other people's houses. I won't be able to find them until the indexing is improved.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Just logged on to Ancestry. I got excited when I seen the 1911 Census Images available. Then dissapointed to read how you got to search for your ancestors. Not going to be easy searching this way at the moment. I'm not a paid member on GR or FMP too. Roll on when Ancestry start indexing the 1911 census.

Comment

Ok thank you for the help, I will try again,when I am feeling patient ha ha
            regards Patti

Comment

I've just done one search - Ancestry managed to list the enumerator's summary under ED 8 instread of ED 18. That required a bit more lateral thinking than usual.

Comment

Hi
                Thankyou for info uncle john just did my first 1911 check and found my grandparents
                off to see what else i can find

Big thankyou

jebbo

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                What you have to do is first find the head of the household in the summary book. If you are looking for someone who doesn't have the same surname as the head of the household you're stuck!
                The route map at the top of the page will tell you the enumeration district details and the entry in the summary book will give you the schedule number.
                Then in the images, enter all this information, which should take you to page 1 of the correct enumeration district. Then multiply the schedule number by 2 to give the approximate image page number. This should get you to the correct household schedule or something very close. The schedule number is written in the top right hand corner of the page, so you'll know if you need to go forwards or backwards through the images.
                Hopefully it won't be too long before Ancestry start indexing the household schedules and also improve the indexing of the enumerators' summary books.
                I've got several daughters of families who had moved away and were staying in other people's houses. I won't be able to find them until the indexing is improved.

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
                Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
                ( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Thanks too Uncle John

Comment

I've just come unstuck again! The parish and Enumeration District don't match for a search in Lancashire Haslingden. RD is 471 and I can find sub-districts 1, 2 and 3 but not the one I want, 4.

Comment

Oh my area Uncle John who are you looking for see if I can help

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Sharon. Now located, thanks to help on another forum. If anyone's interested, Haslingden registration district consists of Rawtenstall, Haslingden, Bacup and Accrington. Not at all obvious from the modern map.

Comment

No problem Uncle John. glad you located it To add what Uncle John as put....Haslingden District also covers Edenfield & Newchurch in Rossendale.

Comment

Working...
                          X