Passport Application c.1904

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Application c.1904

Are UK passport application for 1904 available to view online? I so were. Any help with this welcomed
    rivington.
    Researching: ORRELL, HIGGINSON, LEIGH, PEET, LLOYD,GREEN. all Lancashire. PEPIN. USA. LLOYD, Canada. PEET, Victoria Australia

On Findmypast they have passport application lists from 1851 -1903 but other than that I don't think there's anything else. There are passenger lists on Findmypast as well so that might be a place to look if you think someone migrated.
    margaret

Comment

Also, passport applications are a bit hit-&-miss, because there was quite a long time when they weren't compulsory, I understand.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The National Archives website info about passport records:

~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I thank you all for your input. I did not realise that passport were not compulsory around that time. I have looked at NA. ref passport info. It is looking like I will have to find other methods of researching this person. Thank you.
          Rivington.
          Researching: ORRELL, HIGGINSON, LEIGH, PEET, LLOYD,GREEN. all Lancashire. PEPIN. USA. LLOYD, Canada. PEET, Victoria Australia

Comment

If You haven't already tried this, it would be worth looking for passenger lists? I'm not sure how much info there is on the passport lists, anyway.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine. I have looked at pass lists both for Canada and the USA with no luck. That is why I thought of passports but did not realise they were not compulsory at that time. I have the person in the US 1916 and in England 1901 but would like to fill in the missing years.
              Thank you for your suggestion.
              Rivington.

Comment

Originally posted by rivington View Post
                Thank you Christine. I have looked at pass lists both for Canada and the USA with no luck. That is why I thought of passports but did not realise they were not compulsory at that time. I have the person in the US 1916 and in England 1901 but would like to fill in the missing years.
                Thank you for your suggestion.
                Rivington.
                Were those in the database on FindMyPast?
                They have this database: Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960
                which, otherwise, might be of use to you.

For example, they have 385 people with the surname showing as ORRELL, in the period 1901-1916, of which 116 are in the period 1901-1916, 46 of which were heading for the USA and 39 for Canada.

There could be some others with similar names, which might be yours, if that's the name you're after.

Christine

Comment

Thank you for your interest Christine. The name that I am looking for is Maragaret Ann Green b.1887 Southport left for Canada 1904. Move to USA and married in 1916. married name Pepin. I have her on the 1901 UK census and the Worcester Mass USA census 1920 also New York census 1930. I am looking to fill in the missing years (1901 to 1916). I have looked at Findmypast pass lists: Ancestry pass lists: and various other Archives. I think that one day some info will pop up and make my day.
                  Rivington.

Comment

Have you looked on the UK 1911 census?
                    Margaret

Comment

I tried the Canadian 1911 census, but the search doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

There was also a census taken in 1906, but only in Alberta, Manitoba & Saskatchewan. Do you know whereabouts in Canada she went?
                      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Is this her in 1901?

Living with parents John J & Elizabeth Green and siblings. John J is a County Court bailiff.
                        85 Poulton Road. Southport.
                        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thank you Margaret. Yes I have looked on the UK 1911 census. She definately left for Canada in 1904. I have this from family info in the UK and also her grand daughter in the USA who also has been doing some research, with the same missing years. What a mystery!!
                          Rivington.

Comment

Thank you Sue. Yes you right that is her on the 1901 UK census.. Sorry I do not know where in Canada she went.(1904 Liverpool to Canada: Married 1916 New York)(Died 1977 Worcester Mass USA) Missing years always a problem to fill in! Thank you for your interest.
                            Rivington.

Comment

Do you know when she moved from Canada to USA?
                              Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine I do not know when she moved from canada to the USA. All I have is her marriage (sept 4th 1916) Previously I stated New York but on checking my records the marriage was in Worcester Mass. USA. I have this from her US passport app in 1924 when she visited England to see relatives.
                                Rivington.

Comment

Do you know if she moved to Canada on her own, or with family?
                                  Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine I appear to be a bit short on info I have given. She left England on her own at the tender age of 17 years. We know that she had a child 1913 before her marriage in 1916(This is seen on the 1920 US census) after her marriage she had a further four children which I have information on. The years between 1901 and 1916 are the problem. At present I do not see any easy way to fill in this missing period.
                                    Any help most welcomed.
                                    Rivington

Comment

.. sorry to keep asking questions - trying to find her on the 1910 US census or 1911 Canadian census!
                                      You say she had a child in 1913 - born where - Canada or USA?

You also said earlier that she left for Canada in 1904. Where did this date come from?
                                      Elaine

Comment

On Ancestry, there's at least one Detroit immigration record for a Margaret PEPIN. I don't have the sub to look at it, but it might be worth a trip to the library, if you don't have that sub, either, and don't have that one already... assuming it's your lady.

There's also a Passport application in that name and birth-year, born England. But it doesn't work if I put Father surname = GREEN... or if I add in Ann(e) as a middle name, nor if I put in a passport issue date of 1915±10.

There's an incoming passenger to NY in 1924 for that name/DoB - possibly complementary to an incoming entry to Liverpool in the same year.

Christine
                                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-06-11, 12:47.

Comment

Working...
                                        X