Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another of my silly questions

Sorry, chaps.

Talking about parish register research, where would you draw the line at being "reasonably satisfied" without having absolute proof?

I'm nowhere near that point with this couple yet, but I give it as an example for you to guide me.

As mentioned on another thread, I've got a George & Hannah Hudson in Kingston on Soar, Notts. It seems to me highly likely that George was the George Hudson who married Hannah Reeds at St Mary's, Nottingham in 1773. A note on the marriage entry says that George was living in Kingston & I can't find another appropriate George Hudson without going as far away as York or Cambridge. (Thanks to everyone for helping me with that)

So I'm now looking for baptisms for George & Hannah. There's an appropriate baptism for a George Hudson at Worksop, Notts, but I think that's the wrong direction. I think the most appropriate one I've found so far (& I did this before looking for Hannah) was baptised in Cubley, Derbyshire. The search for Hannah Reeds didn't really throw up any Reed/Reeds in an appropriate area, but there were quite a few Rhodes (mainly Nottingham itself) & one Hannah Ride, who was born in Ashbourne, Derbys....6 miles from where George Hudson was born in Cubley.

Now, obviously, I've got to try & look at these Rhodes/Rides/Hudsons to see if they married other people/died & then look at the family naming patterns etc, but I doubt I'm ever going to find "proof". It's Hannah I'm particularly thinking of....we're not yet at the stage where her surname was given to any of the children. If I followed the steps above & everything seemed to point in the right direction, would you just think "Well, I haven't proved it, but I'm happy to stick with that" or what else would you do ?

Thanks

PS I'm also contacting everyone I can find with the same surname interests in appropriate areas

Comment

Hi Grey
      When & where did your George Hudson die? There's a burial on 1st Aug 1816 at Kingston on Soar St Winifred of a George age 74 which would make his birth year c 1742.
      There's a baptism at Austerfield, St Helena, Notts for a George Hudson son of George & Ann on 11th Apr 1742. This could be the same George buried in 1816.
      Moggie

Comment

Hi Grey
        Marriage at Kingston on Soar for a George Hudson widower to Elizabeth Heaps on 7th May 1798.
        Moggie

Comment

Thanks, very much Moggie.....the burial at Kingston on Soar sounds like him. His children stayed there & the age is right. for George baptised in Cubley.(or the one in St Helena) Having been born & brought up in Nottm & spending most suitable weekends of my youth on family picnics, I thought I knew most Notts villages., but I've never heard of Austerfield, St Helena & I came across another yesterday near Worksop.. something with an H ab Upton (or cum Upton)
          Last edited by greyingrey; 27-05-11, 10:33.

Comment

I think Cubley is the more likely location (Austerfield is up towards the Yorks border), but you never know.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Grey
              I've been doing a bit of googling about Austerfield & this is what I found on Genuki.
              "AUSTERFIELD, in the parish of Blythe, (Notts.) lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 1½ mile from Bawtry, 8 from Doncaster. Pop. 242. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Blythe.
              It now seems to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
              The NBI coverage with no gaps seems to be 1719-1951with only one Hudson burial there a James in 1788. So George & Ann (the parents) & George (1742) & Ann (1739) (the children) must have moved elsewhere.
              Moggie

Comment

Thanks, Moggie. The igi gives the parents of George Hudson born in Cubley as Samuel & Mary. George (as far as I can see) didn't name a son Samuel...& there are no Samuels in the later Hudsons I've found so far, but George & Hannah did name a daughter Mary. The Hannah Ride born in Ashbourne seems to have been illegitimate....mother Ellen Ride (George & Hannah named a daughter Eleanor). There's also a baptism for a Hannah Ride in Derby at the right time....father Joseph Ride (no mother mentioned) No trace of a Joseph in the Hudson family at all, so far

Comment

The sons I've got for George are John & Thomas.....no George, either,.....so I've maybe missed Samuel &/or George, or they didn't survive & they didn't want to use the same name twice. The daughters are Hannah, Eleanor, & Mary....so they would fit in

Comment

Hi Grey
                    There are 2 Samuels buried at Kingston on Soar.Samuel age 74 buried 23rd July 1891 so born c 1817
                    possible son of John & Ann baptised 8th Sep 1816 at K on S & Samuel Arthur buried 7th Nov 1869
                    age 25 so born c1844 not quite sure where he fits in as the only death I can find of a Samuel Arthur in 1869 qtr 4 was registered in Shardlow, Derbyshire & his age given as 35.
                    Moggie

Comment

so there are 2 possible marriages for george in kigston, but no burial for hannah?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        so there are 2 possible marriages for george in kigston, but no burial for hannah?
                        Hi Kyle
                        I wondered why there didn't appear to be a burial at Kingston for Hannah & also 2 of George & Hannah's children. The IGI states that Thomas born 1785 died 20th Aug 1786 & Eleanor born 1781 died 1st May 1782.I have just looked at the coverage for Kingston on Soar & there is a huge gap in the records. Nothing between 1753 & 1813.Later years covered are 1814-1824, 1827, 1830-1901.
                        Moggie

Comment

have you tried freereg as well as the igi?

Comment

Thank you all very much for helping me with the Hudsons....just looking in, as I have a lot of work this weekend. Will get back asap

Comment

So, with those Kingston records missing, reconstruction is a bit difficult.

What I've got.....going backwards

William Hudson b 1800 Shepshed, Leics, parents John & Ann
                              John & Ann appear to have been living in Kingston on Soar, Notts (neighbouring village) & all their other children seem to have been baptised in Kingston. John born Kingston.
                              George & Hannah....looks like George was born in Cubley (near Ashbourne, Derbys). Hannah b Ashbourne. By the time of their marriage, George (& his family?) had moved to Kingston on Soar, Notts, where he & Hannah lived.
                              Assuming (??!!) this is the correct George, his parents were Samuel & Mary.
                              Have found 2 possible marriages....a Samuel Hudson to a Mary Margeltoffe in Arnold Nottm.....but doubt this because it's in the wrong area (although I'd love to have a family called Margeltoffe). This seems more likely.....a Samuel Hudson to a Mary Watts 1725, Shepshed Leics (which is where William was baptised in 1801). It looks as though he may have later married her sister......Samuel Hudson to Elizabeth Watts in 1735, Nottingham St Mary's.

Get the impression I'm running on too far ahead. In view of the gap in the Kingston on Soar records, what would you do ? And would you try & have the registers checked for Samuel etc ?

Comment

checking for wills is a good idea. also checking each of those parishes for any hudsons and trying 2 connect them will help. i hate leic/rutland/lincoln research. my families dont stay in a parish for more than 1 generation usually, figuring out where they came from is really difficult!

Comment

Thanks kylejustin....well, the Hudsons keep flicking across over county borders. Doubt they'd have made wills....almost certainly ag labs. I've followed the main line back & got back to a Thomas Hudson b 1666 in Cubley, Derbyshire. (his father Thomas)...wife from Burton on Trent, Staffs.....seems pretty reliable....but I'm sure I've made a mess up somewhere

Comment

The person I AM trying to find is a Mary Watts. She married Samuel Hudson on 16 Nov 1725 in Shepshed, Leics (he'd been born in Cubley, Derbys & that's where they lived after their marriage), but I can't find a baptism for her. I think there's a Mary Watson in Leicester, but that's too vague

Comment

H ab Upton would probably be Headon cum upton in the north of the county about 3 milsd from Retford.

Austerfield is stil in Nottinghamshire, bur right on the South Yorkshire border, being next to Bawtry.
                                      Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                      X