William Hillicks WW1 records help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Hillicks WW1 records help

Hi I have been branching into another part of my family on my grandmother's side and came across her uncle who died only aged 28 on the 13th January 1915.

It looks as though he died on pneumonia whilst serving as a gunner in the 5th Battery RFA territorial force and wondered if anyone could look up his service record to see if there is any mention. His father also called William died of pneumonia too.

His dob was 8/1/1887 and his widow was called Margaret Howie and they lived in Partick in Glasgow

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated

Steven
    Last edited by stevie2006; 26-05-11, 22:14.

sorry cant find any service record just the fact which you mention when he died

Comment

Thanks Val there isn't one under the name William Hillocks - sometimes the surname is mis spelt?

Steven

Comment

I have an Uncle who died in the second world war in 1939 and sent for his records it told me nothing as it was such a short time, the death cert would have been enough, maybe there isnt one for him as he died so early on in the war ??

Comment

do you have his scroll ??

Comment

I manged to get a copy of the extract of death Val

Can I ask another bit of assistance Val. He had an illegitimate daughter called Mary Hillicks who died aged 5 in 1915. On the 1911 census she is listed as age 1 but place of birth England. Haven't a clue where that comes about and mother is listed as a Christina Allan but she either died or left the family as the person registering the death is the step mother Margaret Hillicks who married William on 1909. Now if he married Margaret in 1909 but had a daughter born in England in 1910 ish that makes a new mystery

Can anyone help

Steven

PS Its a wee bit sad about Mary. By the time she died age 5 her father and mother were both dead and was being looked after by her step mother

Comment

Hi Steven,

Not sure if you know already but they have a photo of William's headstone on the War Graves Photographic Project website; I think for a donation of £3.00 they will email you a copy

Scratch that, I have just found a photo of William's headstone online for free...If you scroll down on the link below it should be there.

This website is for sale! phpbbweb.com is your first and best source for information about Phpbb. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!
              Last edited by jadzia; 27-05-11, 02:15.
              Ness

Comment

I think I may have found his service record under the name William Hillick he has the same regimental number of 511 I'll have a look and get back to you

Edit: yes it's him....PM sent
                Last edited by jadzia; 26-05-11, 23:40.
                Ness

Comment

There is a birth registration Q/E Jun 1910 Rochdale Mary Hillicks ALLAN Vol 8e Page 60
                  Jackie

Comment

Ness what can I say thats amazing and thank you so much

Jackie thanks for that I will get the certificate ordered. What was he doing in Rochdale when he had a wee fling and fathered a child?

Steven

Comment

re; william hillick.

According to the service reecord, William died on 13/01/1915. Pneumonia. After serving 3 years 298 days in the territorials. Never actually made to to the front. Wife given as mrs W hillicks, 3 different addresses, 2 erased.

Comment

Thanks Bigglesbear I now have the service record courtesy of Vanessa

Still can't work out how William managed to have child with someone else in England and what happened

Steven
                        Last edited by stevie2006; 27-05-11, 19:36.

Comment

Jackie I meant to say that birth looks 100% right as on Mary's death certificate her mother is listed as Christina Allan and father as William Hillicks

Ness thanks for all the information you gave me - the photo of his grave stone in Glasgow is amazing and totally unexpected

Steven

Comment

Thank you Steven I'm very happy I was able to help.

Ness

Comment

I have searched on Scotlands People for a death for a Christina Allan but nothing showing up - I tried to narrow it down. 1910 her daughter Mary is born in Rochdale and 1911 young Mary is with her father William and his wife Margaret. By my thinking did she perhaps die in child birth in Rochdale? On Mary's death certificate in 1915 Christina is shown as deceased.

Would anyone be able to check ancestry for a death in Rochdale of a Christina Allan? Might tie up why Mary was brought up by her dad but don't suppose I will ever find out why William had a child by another woman. Or can anyone find Christina on the 1901 English census - I am looking on the Scottish one

Incidently I ordered the birth certificate for Mary today

Steven

Comment

I see from the service records, William was at Gailes camp and Buddon camp which are both in Scotland. However there is limited info on his actual gunnery training. It is possible that this training was done in England. Also the annual camp could have been in England. A scottish soldier in a kilt was a very attractive and rare site at the time in England. Boy meets girl, and oops 9 months later. Just a thought.

Comment

Oops. Scratch that idea, because William wasnt in the Territorials when this child was conceived. sooorrry.

Comment

Thanks Bigglesbear

I think I may have a clue on the war record but can't read it. The record states that William served in some part of the army prior to joining in 1911 for 2 years. That would make it around 1909 when Mary might have been conceived - can anyone help me read what it says? I think its section 11

Steven
                                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 28-05-11, 13:47. Reason: image removed - copyright

Comment

Steven,
                                      As with any image from sites such as Ancestry or the National Archives, we ask that due to copyright you crop the image rather than posting a full page.

Have cropped the relevant part.

...... Royal Garirson Artillery (??) 4th Batallion/Battery (?) 2 years
                                      Termination of engagement no discharge was given he having left the country.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Could the first word be Lanark?
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X