Where would you go from here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you go from here ?

You'll be relieved to know that I've made another step with the Hudsons, but, of course, now I've got to try the next step. So what's the best way to go about it ?

I've now got back to John Hudson,b 11 June 1775 in Kingston on Soar, Notts....parents George & Hannah Hudson. Trying to find a marriage for George & Hannah & have found one at an appropriate date for a George Hudson & a Hannah Clark in York, & there's also a birth, which could be an older sibling for John to a George & Hannah Hudson in Cambridge, but can't find anything in the Notts/Leics/Derby border areas (but not the best areas to search for)

What do you suggest is the best way to continue ? To try & find siblings for John, so that I've got an idea of the family names ? To somehow try & search for any info in the Notts/Derbys/Leics registers ? (bearing in mind I can't get to any of the archives)....to try & find out more about the York/Cambridge families ?

I realise all this & a lot more are the probable answers, but which would you try first ?

My first thought would be to look for possible reasons for the family to move from A to B. There's not a lot of geographical connection between Kingston on Soar and York, and even less with Cambridge. The respective rivers don't connect.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you have the other siblings for John as recorded on the igi?

If not they are:

1. MARY HUDSON - International Genealogical Index
      Gender: Female Christening: 31 OCT 1785 Kingston On Soar, Nottingham, England
      2. JOHN HUDSON - International Genealogical Index
      Gender: Male Christening: 11 JUN 1775 Kingston On Soar, Nottingham, England
      3. THOS. HUDSON - International Genealogical Index
      Gender: Male Christening: 31 OCT 1785 Kingston On Soar, Nottingham, England
      4. HANNAH HUDSON - International Genealogical Index
      Gender: Female Christening: 06 JUN 1779 Kingston On Soar, Nottingham, England
      5. ELEANOR HUDSON - International Genealogical Index
      Gender: Female Birth: 08 JUL 1781 Kingston On Soar, Nottingham, England

Sandra

Comment

Yes, John.....that had occurred to me. So really better to try & exhaust the Notts/Derbys/Leics parish records first ?

Comment

Thank you very much, Sandra....hadn't looked for those yet. The Eleanor might be particularly useful

Comment

There is a marriage of George Hudson and Hannah Reeds 23 Feb 1773 St Mary Nottingham (source igi) This is a submitted entry so be wary but it suggests that this George Hudson was born c1748 Kindgston on Soar. It might be worth investigating.

Sandra

Comment

The marriage that Sandra found is also on the FreeReg site. The grooms abode is down as Kingston, but no other information.

Linda
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

According to Phillimores register, Hannah Hudson married Thomas Hawley, 31 oct 1797, and George Hudson (widower) married Elizabeth Heaps (widow) 7 may 1798, in Kingston on Soar.

Linda
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks to both of you.....looks promising

Comment

Have you searched the contiguous parishes ? They can be found using the excellent free Parish Location program
                    http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ParLocDL.html. If you believe they came from a different part of the country then look for settlement and removal orders in the parish chest documents.
                    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks very much, Mike. I didn't know about that site....it will certainly come in useful.

I've got what could be a promising lead. From the George Hudsons that have been thrown up, I'd say the most likely one is a baptism in Cubley, Derbys. And Hannah Reeds throws up an appropriate baptism for a Hannah Ride in Ashbourne, Derbys. Cubley is only about 6 miles from Ashbourne. Going off to find if this George & Hannah married other people

Comment

Working...
                      X