fmp transcript error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fmp transcript error

i was looking for palmer's in wick st lawrence, somerset in 1841. i couldn't find any. turns out fmp has it transcribed as week st lawrance. i sent in a transcript error, as the page is faded, but clearly says wick not week. they decided to keep their transcript! there is no town in somerset called week! i get they want to be as accurate to what the page says, but it's obviously going to cause problems for anyone looking for wick parish!! would you leave it at that? or is there something else i could do?

Have they not put Wick as an alternative Kyle?

They've been reluctant to change some corrections I have submitted but they usually put them as alternatives.
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

they didn't mention any alternatives. i would have thought it was like ancestry, if they wont change it, there's a postem with an alternative name!

Comment

Did they send you an email to that effect? If so I would email them and ask them to review the change. It can sometimes take a while for the change to publish.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

yes they sent an email saying they wont change the transcript. so i can email them asking them to list wick as an alternative? it's only that week does not exist, and wick does. so what use is it if no one can find the town lol

Comment

I had to get quite stroppy with FMP one time when they refused to change a transcript for me. I had one coming from Pilton Northants which the transcript had transcribed as Bolton Northants. When I wrote the second time and told them there was no such place as Bolton in Northants, that the only Bolton I knew was in Yorkshire and that this was the only census where this person's name appeared on the census as coming from this village instead of just Northants, they then agreed that I was right. Sometimes if you know you are right you have to perservere. I do not always get my way as they will pedantically stick with what they can "see" on the original census. In desperation over another one that they refused to alter I suggested they find a method for dealing with these difficult hard to read ones but nothing has come of that!

Janet

Comment

well i sent them an email i wonder if they'll change it.

Comment

I managed - with some persistence - to persuade them to correct their transcription of my grandmother's name in 1911. I was more than a bit offended (and let them know!) when they claimed it fell within an acceptable error range, and still said they would only display what was on the original document (which had her name correctly spelt!).

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

that was my response? the image is hard to read, but if you look closely at the top of the page, it clearly says wick. they say the entire management team will take notice of my complaint lol

Comment

Well done!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      i was looking for palmer's in wick st lawrence, somerset in 1841. i couldn't find any. turns out fmp has it transcribed as week st lawrance. i sent in a transcript error, as the page is faded, but clearly says wick not week. they decided to keep their transcript! there is no town in somerset called week! i get they want to be as accurate to what the page says, but it's obviously going to cause problems for anyone looking for wick parish!! would you leave it at that? or is there something else i could do?
                      No wonder FMP were reluctant to change Week for Wick ..... they are one and the same place -

Wick St Lawrence
                       Description
                      Week St Lawrence or Wick St Lawrence, a parish in Somerset, at the mouth of the river Yeo, 2 miles from Worle station on the G.W.R., and 4 1/2 NE by N of Weston-super-Mare. Post town, Worle, under Weston-super-Mare. Acreage, 1487; population, 218. Woodspring Priory, partly a ruin, and partly converted into a farmhouse, is adjacent. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Congresbury. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. An ancient cross stands in the centre of the village, about 25 feet in height.
                      Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Week St Lawrence has been there a long time there is a marriage recorded in 1742 at Sutton Montis where bride and groom are both from Week St Lawrence.

Nina.
                      Last edited by Inahaystack; 25-05-11, 22:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        I had to get quite stroppy with FMP one time when they refused to change a transcript for me. I had one coming from Pilton Northants which the transcript had transcribed as Bolton Northants. When I wrote the second time and told them there was no such place as Bolton in Northants, that the only Bolton I knew was in Yorkshire snip

This post is a good example why firms are reluctant to change transcription errors.
                        There are a number of places named Bolton (at least 11) in England.
                        The most well known being in Lancashire!
                        An 1868 Gazetteer shows 16.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Whoops Of course Bolton is Lancs and it was Lancs that I put on my e mail to FMP and not Yorks!! I can only put my error above down to some Family History I was doing for someone else from YORKSHIRE at the same time as I was writing this on the forum so...... I am not a very good multitasker.;D;D

In my case I stressed there was NO Bolton in Northants and to give them their due they agreed to meet as a team and look at the original image again and they did change it and agreed I was correct!

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 26-05-11, 13:28.

Comment

i wonder if it was may have been written week as they way they pronounce it in somerset?

Comment

Working...
                            X