unfound death c1951

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfound death c1951

Can any one help me find this death please? John Poole, born 1873 in mile end, died between 1950 -53, probably in Middlesex.
    This is my great grandad, and I have searched high and low for his death (including searching for Pool without an E aswell). He just doesn't want to be found. His wife Charlotte died in Hillingdon, Middlesex in 1945, and I have a photo of him with a grandaughter around 1950 (she was born in 1948 and looks 2/3 in the photo). This was taken in his son's garden in Essex. That son, also John Poole, died in November 1951. My dad says his grandad was not at the funeral, and thinks he had already died himself. But a cousin thinks it was 1952 that our Great grandad died.
    Either way, I have searched from Jan 1950 to Dec 1953, looking in Middlesex and Essex, with no luck. It seems crazy not to be able to find a relatively recent death. Either I'm not looking in the right time and place, or he was registered incorrectly.

Any new ideas would be very welcome
    Thanks

Was there any family elsewhere in the country - that he could have been visiting when he died? Then the death would be registered in a different area from what you'd expect.

Or could he have died whilst away on holiday, or something like that?

If he looked old/young for his age, and his death was registered by someone who wasn't close enough to know, then his age-at-death could be wrong.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-05-11, 18:40.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a John H Pool with a birth date of 1875 who died in 1952, Romford, Essex on Ancestry. Do you know if he had a middle name?
      Tessie

Comment

Did he die in hospital? There is a John W Poole (born abt 1874) death in March qtr 1956 in Pancras, London and I wondered if he was perhaps in a London hospital when he died. Or is that too late?

Was John his first name or just the name he was known as? Maybe a second name?

Just thinking aloud really.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far - I have his birth certificate and baptism record and there was no middle name, just John. On all the certificates I have for him it only says John, although some family called him Jack. He had a lot of siblings, although I'm unsure how much contact he kept with them, or how many were still alive in the 50's. Most of the family stayed in and around London. He had a son and daughter living in Essex (West Ham) and another son and daughter near him in Hayes, Middlesex. That's about all I know really.
          Thanks again

Comment

There have been reports on here of BMDs not making it to the GRO index so maybe an enquiry to some local Register Offices might be an ideas. Start with the one nearest to where he lived then try the ones where the family were living.
            Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that idea margaret - will they be able to help me even if I don't know when he died? I've only ever used the GRO so far
              Darannon

Comment

I think you can ask them to do a search for a specified period. Ringing to personalise it often helps - throw your self on their mercy! LOL
                Margaret

Comment

As an update to this thread, I finally got around to digging around some more. I contacted the local library, who were able to tell me that John Poole had moved from the known address by 1946, the year after his wife's death.
                  Then I contacted the local registry office, who were very helpful and searched for his death under Poole and Pool, with no success. The only possiblity they found was a John H Pool dying in the neighbouring borough of Ealing in 1962. Sadly, there is no chance of this being him.
                  So, it's back to the drawing board (-:
                  I'm now wondering if he went to live with his married daughter and family in Essex and died there - maybe I should investigate the John H pool in Romford that Tessie found (even though he didn't have a middle name, but all things seem possible in family history)
                  Darannon

Comment

There is a death for a John Poole aged 74 in Essex 1948 Sep quarter 5A 309

Comment

Absolutely - always bear in mind that death certificates contain information that other people have given, not the person themselves.
                      Also memories of relatives can be very misleading.
                      Margaret

Comment

I have an exciting up date to this thread - I have finally found my great grandads death (-:
                        It was the essex 1948 one - unbelievable when he supposedly died in Hayes, Middlesex in 1951, and I had been given a photograph of him with his daughter, grandson and 3yr old great grand-daughter (and she wasn't born until 1948)
                        However, this is definitely him, the age and occupation match, and the icing on the cake is the death was registered by another daughter. He died at home, at her address, so I can only think he moved in with her after his wife died in 1945. It is a new address for me, as I had previous ones in West Ham, but this is actually Dagenham.
                        I am delighted to solve this mystery after trying for so long - and I will somehow have to break it to my cousin that the toddler in the photo isn't her - based on past experience she will tell me I have it wrong (-:
                        Thankyou to everyone who replied to the thread, and sent me pm's, it all helped

Darannon

Comment

Only just seen this thread......but well done. Perseverance has paid off. Nol wonder you are pleased
                          Linda

Comment

glad the one I found was him, wish I could find my Great Grandmothers????

Comment

Val, I really didn't think that would be him - wrong area, wrong year, but I was running out of ideas (-: But to have the death registered by his daughter was absolute confirmation that it's him. I'm so delighted, so is my dad. Only in family history could you get so excited to find the right death for someone, but you all know what that feels like. Thankyou so much, and to everyone else who suggested new ideas for searches

Darannon

Comment

the trouble is family gossip is not always reliable.

Comment

I did think photographic evidence was more reliable though (-:
                                  Never mind, got there in the end - plenty more brick walls to focus on now that I'm feeling so enthusiastic

Darannon

Comment

Glad you had a breakthrough Darannon and with Poole's in my tree too well done

Steven

Comment

Thing is too even if you have a photograph you have to be 100% sure that the people named on the photograph are the right ones! (which is a very hard thing to prove if the person that took the photograph is dead!)

I think alot more photographic evidence will be rarer in the next few decades to come, as people use digital cameras these days and film is virtually defunct! so less people printing the pictures, cos lets face it, what is easier to store?? a fat album of 100's of pictures, or a few cds/dvds with 1000's on?

but nevertheless a brilliant result!! well done!
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        I think alot more photographic evidence will be rarer in the next few decades to come, as people use digital cameras these days and film is virtually defunct!
                                        And there could be a massive hole also from the 1960s to the 1990s where people took colour photos. The colour chemicals are not nearly as stable as black and white.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X