Croxson Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croxson Brothers

These three brothers appear to have been missing for the period 1851 until next heard from around 1865/6.
    Sidney joined the army in 1866, George was married in 1866 and Charles was noted on the 1871 census.
    In 1847 their father died and their mother married again 2 months later and promptly disappeared after the children were jointly baptized in January 1848 and then placed in the Rochford Union workhouse.
    They were noted there at the 1851 census, but there is no trace of them in the
    1861 census.
    1. I assume that the Essex Coiunty archives would have records of when the
    children were released from the workhouse and possibly where they went to.
    Are these records on line or is it possible to get a copy of the records from the County.
    2. I am of the opinion that they may have been reunited with their mother and step father but have not been able to find any passenger record of
    them going overseas either to Canada/USA/NZ/Aust and think that they may have gone to continental Europe.
    3. Are there records i.e. death records that can be accessed on line for
    this area please.
    Regards David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

The direct link to SEAX, the online catalogue for Essex is: SEAX.

You may well find other useful links on our Essex page or Poor Laws and Workhouses in the Reference Library.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Have you access to Sidney's army records? On the last page it gives his discharge date and he gives his address as Vulcan House, Southend which is the home of his brother Edward. He is still there with his brother and his family in 1891 but the name is spelt Crosson
      Last edited by Caroline; 23-05-11, 08:20.

Comment

Sorry forgot to add the ref RG12 Piece 1391 Folio 16 Page 25. If you haven't access to army records let me know

Have found Sidney in 1901 as a boarder at 22 Pleasant Road, Prittlewell, Essex, RG13 Piece 1678 Folio 129 Page 37. He is a School Board Officer.
        There is a death for a Sidney E Croxson aged 73 in 1918 Q3 4a 612 Roachford
        Last edited by Frazzled; 23-05-11, 08:09. Reason: More info

Comment

Have found Sidney Croxson in the Royal Hospital for Army Pensioners, Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea in the 1911 census. Sorry have to go now, I'm late!!

Comment

A reminder to all members, please be careful when doing lookups for people that you are not in breach of any other site's Ts and Cs:

When offering research assistance or responding to research requests, please take care to ensure you are not breaching any Terms and Conditions related to the resources you are using. Likewise, when requesting help, please be aware that members may respond that they are unable to help due to these same Terms and Conditions. If the Admin and Moderating team is made aware that copyright may have been breached, we reserve the right to amend or remove your post without warning.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks to all,
              Yes I have Sidneys army docos (I sub to FMP and Ancestry) - by the way the name is Croxson, the Crosson is a mistranscription.
              My g/mother spent the first 24 years of her life at Vulcan House, it was, to put it correctly, the ancestral home and I am up to speed with most
              of the goings on. It is the time span of apaprox 185x to 1865 that I am looking for. It has been a puzzle to me and other family researchers for
              quite some time and I would like really to put it to bed.
              David

David

Comment

Caroline,
                Thank you for that, I will have a look and see what the outcome is.
                david

David

Comment

Have you checked that they wouldn't be likely to have been in one of the areas covered by the large chunk of missing pieces in 1861?

Have a look here: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvi...dex.jsp#issues

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine,
                    Wow! That's a large list, haven't had time to go through it thoroughly, will be mainly interested in any parish located in Essex as that seemed
                    to be their normal location. One thing though, the mother and step father never appeared on a UK census post 1841 which leads me to believe that
                    they went overseas (Continent?) to live in 1848.
                    David

David

Comment

Working...
                    X