London Directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Directions

I'm trying to understand the distance from an ancestor's home to his (possible) work place.

Does anyone know how far it is from 6 Buckingham row West
    to William Street, St Matthew Parish Bethnal Green?

Thanks!

Have you tried Googlemaps?

Comment

I have now, but I'm looking for 1839-1841 maps? I'll look in the reference section

Comment

A nudge in the right direction would be useful. Does anyone know of an indexed map? I've found a map online, but it isn't indexed and I don't know where I should be looking.

Comment

MapCo has early London maps with indexes - but they do take a while to load up.

... But I wouldn't have expected the distances to be wildly different then and now: it's only if bombing/development has taken out a street, or re-ordered driving requirements (one-way, etc), but the on-foot distance would be much the same.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-05-11, 18:44.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

William Street is on here (though it's a map from 1868) ninth section along, 4th up, runs parallell to Church St Bethnal Green.

Buckingham Row west sounds like a row within a particular street, have you any idea where it might be?

Comment

The address is from Pigot's 1839 London Directory. It is on Ancestry here:

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/vi...+Directory.193

It is page 193 in that file but the pages are not numbered. John Mitchell is listed alphabetically under "Plasterers".

Comment

I suppose you need to know what was the boundary for London in 1839 to get an idea of where that might be now. I had a look at the title pages of the directory but it doesn't say so perhaps that's the question to google.
                Margaret

Comment

According to Gendocs Victorian London A-Z Street Index, Buckingham Row was in the Hanover Sq area. Might help to pin it down a bit!

Sue

Comment

Thank you, Sue - that's a useful index.
                    Now I just have to figure out where Hanover Square is on the MapCo map!
                    Sarah

Comment

Working...
                    X