I'm having trouble with Thomas Apps of Boxgrove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having trouble with Thomas Apps of Boxgrove

Thomas Apps was born in Boxgrove, Sussex in 1774. I don't know where he went when he left home until he reappeared with a wife called Ann and two children called Richard and Elizabeth in 1811, in Chichester.
    In the 1841 census he was listed as an army pensioner. My problem is that I think he could have had more children but I cannot find out Ann's maiden name or where and when he was married. Can anyone point me in another direction please as I appear to be stuck here.

If he was in the army he might have been living - and marrying - anywhere. Have you tried looking for his army records? There's an entry on FindMyPast for Thomas Apps in their British Army Service Records 1760-1913 dataset but I don't have any credits to see if its your chap.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 23-05-11, 21:19.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I don't think he appears in the Findmypast Military records.

This might be his record on the National Archives.
      The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much Nell - that record, I believe, might be his son. I have acquired a copy as the transcript said he was born in 'Medlarut' Sussex. I suspected that it had been misread and the copy showed me that the birthplace was 'Mid Lavant' (just outside Chichester). I still haven't been able to link the two Thomases but it looks as though Elaine has come up with something that might solve my problems.

Elaine, thank you so much for that link. I have sent for a copy as I am fairly certain that is my man (in fact my husband's GGGGrandfather).

Comment

I have sent you a PM with some ideas and thoughts.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thomas Apps - Baptism/Christening 1st Dec 1774. Parents William Apps & Mary.

IGI lists a Thomas Apps marring an Ann Smith 11 Oct 1803 in Wadhurst Sussex... could this be them?

Laterdaysaints website lists kids to them...

Elizabeth - baptism/christening 02 Oct 1811. St. Peter-the-Great, Chichester, Sussex.
            Ann - baptism/christening same date and place.

Can't see a Richard listed to a Thomas Apps & Ann though.

I saw Thomas listed on the 1841 census. Didn't pick him up on 1851 census. Checked FreeBMD and saw a Thomas Apps listed on the Deaths for March Qtr 1844 Chichester.. maybe him?

Don't know if any of this info helps or not but worth a try.

Craig
            Craig

Comment

Thanks for that Craig.
              That is the correct Thomas but the marriage listed is:
              1. Not a transcription of the registers but a 'submitted 'entry. (I'm always a bit suspicious of these)
              2. In East Sussex, which is rather a long way from the normal family events and moves into the area of the Appses of Kent and East Sussex (not yet connected to 'my lot')

I was suspicious of the double baptism in Chichester so I went to the Record Office to check it out. It was a mis-transcription and the children were Richard & Elizabeth. Someone wrote down the mother's name by mistake....even the IGI makes mistakes!

Thomas did die in 1844 in Chichester, listed as a colt breaker. His wife lived on until 1857.

A Thomas and Ann lived in Mid Lavant in 1805 and had a son called George (unable to trace him so far - maybe he died young). I also have a Thomas born in Mid Lavant in 1803 for whom I can find no baptism record and I suspect he might be the eldest son. He was an army pensioner when he retired to Chichester.
              This Thomas, Richard & his family and mother Ann all lived in the same road in Chichester at the time of the 1851 Census.

Comment

OK I've just received Thomas's army record;D There were a few interesting facts: He was 5ft 7inches tall, had brown hair and grey eyes and a dark complexion (probably weathered?)

Apparently he enlisted at the age of thirty in Edinburgh! He was in the 4th Dragoons until 1818 when he was discharged 'being completely worn out in the service' as an out-pensioner of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, Ireland.
                No mention of wife or children though.
                In all census records his wife Ann said she came from Farnborough.

Any suggestions about where I might search next?

Comment

Another brick wall bites the dust! I thought I would resurrect this thread to report a happy conclusion.
                  Working on the slim clue of Anne's origins (Farnborough, Berkshire) I looked up the Berkshire Record Office and found a reference to the parish register transcriptions submitted to Findmypast by the Berkshire FHS. Immediate success! I found the marriage - 17 Feb 1796 at St Lawrence, Reading, confirmed by the added fact that Thomas Apps was a soldier in the 'fencibles' regiment (noted on his army record). Anne's surname was Selwood. I then found Anne's baptism on IGI 2 Feb 1772 in Farnborough. Next task is to tie in George(1805) and Thomas(1803)!!!!
                  Thanks for all your help.
                  Shirley

Comment

Oh, Well Done!

And thank you for the update.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                    X