Inmate in 1911 but where about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate in 1911 but where about?

Hi for ages I have been searching scotlands people for my great great grandfather William Hillicks and tonight managed to find him.

The surname was misspelt as Hillocks and it listes him as an inmate but I have no idea in what type of establishment.

It says Dunoon in Argyll but no address - there may be too many pages to look up

He is aged 68 and is listed as an Iron moulder foundry worker. There are men, women and children all listed with him and I am wondering if it was his place of work? At first I thought a prison but surely everyone would not all be mixed together?

Can anyone help with a look up to see if they can find an address or clue to where he may have been when the census was taken

Thanks

Steven

It sounds more like a workhouse to me. Doesn't the transcript give you any clue as to the address?
    Margaret

Comment

If it's Scotland's People, then won't anyone else looking have to pay?

If it's Scotland's People, I believe that you should be able to go back and look at the record you've already looked at, without paying again. Perhaps you could email them with the reference and ask how you can get the additional information which normally attaches to such a document without further cost.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just had a look with some spare credits and you can download the header for free from one of the tabs just above the link for the census image which gives the address as West of Scotland Sea Side Homes - Holiday camp?? LOL

Comment

Scotlands people - go back to the results page, click on who you want to view and above where you click to see the census you can click on "view free header", this may give additional info and doesn't cost anything.
          Good luck

Edit - Oh - why am I never quick enough - you bet me to it Margaret.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

have a look at this for an explanation http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...topic=178563.0 and on the thread there is this link http://www.castlehousemuseum.org.uk/index.html and it looks like the museum have been very helpful to someone else on the same quest.
            Margaret

Comment

I'm usually pipped at the post on these as my typing is too slow!

Comment

How wonderful, a free seaside holiday in Scotland in April........I do hope they were all suitably grateful.

OC

Comment

ROFL - those that survived!
                  margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret I have been using SP for years and never knew you could download a header page

Thanks to everyone who helped I thought I would never find him

Steven

Comment

The link was a good source of information too - a home to recuperate and I now need to check his cause of death - I wil have a copy in my records. There must have been hundreds of people there

Steven

Comment

I think the header page only applies to the 1911 as the sheets we are seeing are the household returns rather than the enumerators pages which summarised the information. On the 1911 the address page was on the front of the form and I know that for the Irish 1911 you have to click on other pages to get the image for the address. It's a pity thought that the transcript doesn't show the address - perhaps it does for private houses?
                        Margaret

Comment

William died of pneumonia in 1920 and there are some articles on line about the establishment he lived at in 1911. It's full name was the West of Scotland Convalescent Seaside home Dunoon and people were sent to recover from ailments hence the large numbers of inmates of all age and gender

Really good to find him and thanks again

Steven

Comment

He obviously had some sort of respiratory complaint hence the seaside - maybe chronic bronchitis or similar which eventually lead to pneumonia.
                            Margaret

Comment

Working...
                            X