taylor family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taylor family

Does anyone have any information about the burial place of Frank Taylor last residence Mount Pleasance Farm,Duns,Berwickshire.He married Margaret Purves in 1892 in Glendale, Wooler,Northumberland.His family were Margaret Ann Victoria,William Hope ,Victor J. Ingram,Hilda,Jane or Jeannie,Annie,Frank.His wife died young,39,and it seems the younger ones were put into a home or institution,pre 1911.They lived in Chapel street, Berwick.Margaret`s parents were John Purves and Ann Green.Frank`s father was also Frank Taylor.I would like to know Frank`s mothers name as I have no chance of researching his family tree otherwise. His daughter Margaret married Robert Pirie(1) and Michael O`Brien (2) in Dunbar, East Lothian.I would be very grateful for any information regarding the Taylor Family.There may be a connection to Reston,Berwickshire Many thanks.

Welcome to FTF. Have you got any years and places of birth for the people you are looking for? Frank Taylor's mother's name will be on his birth certificate so you need to find that and the only way to do that will be to know when and where he was born. You might find Frank's mother's name by locating him on a census with his parents - the most recent being 1911 and then going back every 10 years.
    If the family are from Scotland your will need to search on ScotlandPeople which is a pay per view site and good value as you can get information from the births deaths and marriage registers for a fraction of the cost of English ones.

If you give some more details we can see if we can help.
    Margaret

Comment

I have found Frank age 30 and Margaret age 30 with 5 children in 1901 here's the ref RG13; Piece: 4844; Folio: 92; Page: 33.

Comment

Have a look at this Frank Taylor living with his married sister Jessie and husband Thomas McLavrin in London in 1891 RG12; Piece: 1072; Folio 87; Page 51
        or this one Parish: Paisley Abbey; ED: 8; Page: 6; Line: 15; Roll: CSSCT1891_176; Year: 1891 also with a sister and other siblings.

If you have the marriage certificate for Frank and Margaret it will say who his father is so that will help locating Frank in earlier censuses.
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 22-05-11, 21:38.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying to my query.I think I have the 1901 census you mentioned.It was in Berwick on Tweed. Unfortunately it only mentions Scotland! as his birth place.On his marriage certificate his father is named as Frank Taylor,gen. labourer. I have a death certificate for a Frank Taylor,widower of Margaret Purves, died in Kelso 1951. Informant is his son William H. Taylor.His parents names are left blank!I got this cert. on Scotlands People,and the details seem to fit .He was aged 80 on the cert.which would match his birth date I got on the 1901 census.Scottish B.M.D`s usually always name both parents,but I have a few English one on the Purves
          side which I notice just give the father`s name.Margaret, his wife was b 1869, Berwick, Northumberland.Children`s births are Margaret A.V.,1897,William Hope 1903,Jane 1894,Victor J.I., 1900 Annie 1896,Hilda 1901, Frank 1894.Hope this helps.Thanks again

Comment

From what you say about Frank Taylor's death it sounds as though the son didn't know his grandparents names so this is going to be hard with such a popular name. Yes, it is different in England and you can only get mother's name from birth certificate whereas in Scotland it's even shown on marriage/death certs - if the information is known that is!

So did you find Frank at all on the 1911 census? this usually gave the place of birth rather than just the country where it wasn't England.

That second 1891 I sent has the oldest of the siblings as born in Ireland and if that's Frank's family it will make it even harder to trace - but lets see what we can find out first.

Margaret

Comment

I've had a look at the England & Wales 1911 and nothing is coming up on that for Frank and also nothing in Scotland.

Margaret

Comment

Mragaret,much appreciate your efforts on my behalf.I have found only one Frank Taylor aged 40 in Elderslie, Renfrewshire.Believe it or not I did find a birth for a Frank Taylor in my home town of Dunbar ,East Lothian. But he was illegitimate, mother Alice Taylor.As he obviously knew his father was called Frank,I don`t think this is feasible. I was trying to find a marriage for his daughter Hilda as it was a fairly unusual name, but no luck so far.It is very frustrating,as you will probably well know,to get so far and then hit a brick wall.It is unfortunate that the family were split up.I found on the 1911 Berwick census 3 of the children,William, Hilda, and Victor in an institution.I found Annie and Jane in households,no specifics. I have to travel to Berwick for the info.,I cant access it at my local library, which incidently is closed today, holiday!

Comment

Don't assume that because Frank gave a father's name when he got married that he is not the one you've found! People have been known to lie at the marriage registration to save embarrassment at being illegitimate.
                  I'll see if I can see anything for Hilda.
                  Margaret

Comment

There is someone on here who has details of Children's Homes which I see is where Hilda was in 1911. Perhaps someone will be able to link you up with them. If you found out the files for the children in the homes it might give more details of Frank and where he was in 1911.
                    Margaret

Comment

Here's the thread for the person who might be able to help http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...dren%27s+homes

Comment

Could this be your Hilda marrying
                        Oswald Palmer Taylor Jul-Aug-Sep 1924 Berwick Northumberland

Comment

There are 2 trees on Genesreunited with Margaret Purves b1869 Berwick in them.

Comment

Hi Margaret, I am overwhelmed with all the information you have given me !I can`t thank you enough.I have contacted the website for homes you gave me.Also noted what you found for Hilda.Will try to find out more on that.I never thought of the explanation for naming a non-existent father.I checked the 1891 census for Dunbar,and couldn`t find Frank Taylor.He was there in 1881.As he got married in1892 it`s possible he was in Berwick then.Probably wishful thinking! Very grateful thanks .With so many people helping me I feel very confident something will turn up.Hope you get this,being new I am a bit confused on the posts etc.Apologies if I haven`t replied to all your posts.THANKS Evelyn

Comment

Thinking about your research I feel you may have to follow one or two Frank Taylors to eliminate them which will be time consuming but feel free to ask on here again so we can help.
                              This is Frank Taylor b1871 Dunbar in the 1891 census Parish: Dunbar; ED: 3; Page: 13; Line: 19; Roll: CSSCT1891_371; Year: 1891. The other Frank Taylor b1871 in Johnstone Renfrewshire was the one I gave earlier living with 2 sisters and a brother.
                              Margaret

Comment

Hope you don't mind but I saw your post on the adoption thread and have added the address for Hilda in 1911 which is 132, Main Street, Tweedmouth Berwick and it was run by Berwick Union which would usually the Workhouse.
                                Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret, went to library this morning, I can access Scotlands People there,dont have to go to Register House.Used up all my credits trying to get all births for Frank Taylor in Scotland.It`s very difficult to work out which is the right one.They are all over ,Aberdeen.Wigtown,Glasgow,East Lothian.I get a feeling it may be a dead end,but I will keep plodding on.you never know.I think I mentioned I found my GGrandfathers death cert,with son William Hope Taylor as informant.I found William`s death cert.today, and I know I have the right person as his parents are Frank Taylor and Margaret Purves.I am going to try and contact any descendents in Coldingham Berwickshire,where William died,his wife`s name was on the cert.I am also contacting the farm where Frank worked,hopefully someone will recognise the name.I feel this is the only way I am going to get any further.I would like to find out where the older children went in 1911,I tried th e 1911 census fo Berwick.If you have any info for that I would be very grateful.I saw on google maps the workhouse site,thanks for your advice.I appreciate you giving me your time.If there is one thing I have learned when I started the research a year ago is that folks are so kind and helpful like yourself.Many thanks Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                                  X