origin of the word grandparent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• origin of the word grandparent

why are they called 'grandparents'? wikipedia says it was originally from the french: grand pere/mere. which makes sense, but why the word 'grand'? does it mean something?

Grand means large in French, so it is the "large" parent in the sense of being over the others.

OC

Comment

so its more a description of authority than some sort of title? that makes sense. as parents refer to their parents when raising children.

Comment

It doesn't say in my English dictionaries, but according to my French dictionary, the "grand" in grandmère and grandpère meant "aged".

That led me to wonder where the Italian nonna (grandmother) and nonno (grandfather) came from; apparently nonna comes from a late Latin word for "wet-nurse", and nonno means the wet-nurse's husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          apparently nonna comes from a late Latin word for "wet-nurse", and nonno means the wet-nurse's husband.
          Just so long as it doesn't mean a male wet-nurse!
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh, Mary, I wish I'd known that before I invited my grandchildren to call me Nonna, lol!

OC

Comment

*When all else fails, look it up in the dictionary, lol*.

Grand = chief over others; of highest rank.

So this would go back to the days when the oldest male was the "ruler" of the family.

OC

Comment

makes so much more sense now!! haha cant believe something so simple took asking a question here to figure it out!

Comment

Irish m-i-law always refers to her great aunts as grand aunts, putting them in line (generation wise) wth grandparents. Makes sense, as opposed to great aunts, a generation youger than great grandparents.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think that's the US terminology too, which would explain why family tree programs always refer to great-grand-aunts and uncles.

Comment

thats how i would think of it mary and janet. it just makes sense grand aunts and uncles would be your grandparents siblings.

Comment

The OED has grandparent(s) only from the 19th century, but grandfather / mother, is way back in the 15th century and derived from the French.
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk
                        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
                        X